ChrisJM981

AR .22 Conversion Kit

I'm looking into purchasing a .22 conversion kit for my AR. Any suggestions, regrets, recommendations, or brand suggestions will be appreciated. I've heard that the slight difference in bullet size (.22 vs. .223) can affect the barrel. Is there any truth to that? I'd like to get a 10/22, but I feel one money pit is enough for now.

I've heard too many quality control issues about Ciener kits to consider purchasing one. These are the 2 I believe I will be deciding between:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_75&products_id=176

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-Stainless-Steel-.22-Conversion-Kit-with-Magazine-1481

I bought the Standard (Not Stainless) CMMG kit, only issue i have is the supplied magazine is a REALLY tight fit in the mag well...other than that we shot about 250 rounds through it first time out, and had no problems.

Don't expect great accuracy out of the conversion kit if you have a quick twist rate. If you have an old style M-16 twist (1:12) or a varmint barrel for light bullets you will see better results. The twist in most AR barrels these days is too fast for a 22LR bullet. If you want something to plink with, it shouldn't matter much. If you want something to shoot at 75+ yards, get a dedicated upper or one of the new AR-22s from Colt, S&W, or Ruger.

I bought a Spike tactical upper and I love it. It is super accurate and doesn't jam if I clean between range sessions.

Don't expect great accuracy out of the conversion kit if you have a quick twist rate. If you have an old style M-16 twist (1:12) or a varmint barrel for light bullets you will see better results. The twist in most AR barrels these days is too fast for a 22LR bullet. If you want something to plink with, it shouldn't matter much. If you want something to shoot at 75+ yards, get a dedicated upper or one of the new AR-22s from Colt, S&W, or Ruger.

I bought a Spike tactical upper and I love it. It is super accurate and doesn't jam if I clean between range sessions.

I shot the M&P 22. Loved it! I think I'll stick with the conversion kit for now. I can't see dropping 560 bucks for an upper without a chrome lined barrel. For that I can buy a 10/22 with optics s dreml and a quad free float rail for the AR. :D I appreciate the suggestions though. Ultimately when I have more money I will pick one up.