Sign in to follow this  
Guest Damagedworld

Probably been answered 100 times but friend moving from PA

friend moving from PA..

as far as i can tell all firearms are NJ legal...

no large capacity etc..

has several handguns.. how does he go about LEGALLY registering them.. does he have to register them?

I am pretty sure you are supposed to register handguns, once you move here.. but how exactly do you go about doing it legally...

yeah I know he could hide them.. never register them.. etc.. but lets just say he wants to follow the letter of the law..

thanks in advance for any and all advice!

No mandatory gun registration in NJ

so the pistols ONLY have to be registered if they are purchased WHILE you are an NJ resident?

If you mean the PtP for handguns, that is correct. IANAL, so suggest if he/she has any questions, contact an NJ atty that knows NJ Firearm law w/r/t people moving to NJ. Or tell your friend to stay in PA and commute--

after really thinking about it.. I guess it IS only for purchase.. I am sure some others will chime in as well.. there are some people here who seem to know most of the laws up and down.. ideally someone will know FOR SURE.. but yeah i think you are in fact correct..

thanks for the info.. unfortunately staying in PA is not an option for him.. just trying to make the move as painless as I can for him.. ha

Registration is strictly voluntary. My advice? Don't volunteer.

He should obtain a FPID - I know that it is only for purchasing, but it can help if you are transporting (legally) and get stopped. Just sayin'

Adios,

Pizza Bob

friend moving from PA..

as far as i can tell all firearms are NJ legal...

no large capacity etc..

has several handguns.. how does he go about LEGALLY registering them.. does he have to register them?

I am pretty sure you are supposed to register handguns, once you move here.. but how exactly do you go about doing it legally...

yeah I know he could hide them.. never register them.. etc.. but lets just say he wants to follow the letter of the law..

thanks in advance for any and all advice!

He does not need to register them. The only reason we have Pistol permits is for purchase. I suggest he apply for a FPID as soon as possible though.

great thanks so much for all the advice and information.. it is appreciated... i am not sure why but i was SO sure he had to register them.. lol I guess the general "anti-firearms atmosphere" gets to everyone at some point.. I just RARELY offer ANY advice unless I am REALLY sure.. I mean i KNEW rifles would be fine providing they were NJ compliant.. but just thought something would be in there regarding handguns as well.. he plans to get the FID card as soon as things are rolling..

thanks to all!

Just to +1 it, if the guns do no violate any of the AWB rules, he's fine to own them, have them in his house, take them to the range, hunting, to a gun smith or a business that he owns. There is simply nothing he is required to do under NJ law.

He should certainly obtain his firearms purchaser ID once he is stable in his residence simply so that he can purchase ammunition AND to thwart any LEO who believes that to own guns in NJ, you must have a FPID.

Just to +1 it, if the guns do no violate any of the AWB rules, he's fine to own them, have them in his house, take them to the range, hunting, to a gun smith or a business that he owns. There is simply nothing he is required to do under NJ law.

He should certainly obtain his firearms purchaser ID once he is stable in his residence simply so that he can purchase ammunition AND to thwart any LEO who believes that to own guns in NJ, you must have a FPID.

Just to clarify what Malsua wrote if the guns do no violate any of NJ's AWB rules, he's fine to own them...