chalee

Pistol Permit for antique replica

While Black Powder guns are not considered firearms by federal law, they are by the state of NJ.

If you lived in PA, you could go to a store that has a BP pistol and purchase it without a NICS check. It's not a firearm. It'd be like buying a t-shirt and all the ID that requires.

Most of the big retailers will ship Black Powder guns to free states.

As a NJ resident, you are legally required to get a pistol permit to buy a black powder pistol.

So buying a black powder revolver in PA and transporting it back to NJ would be bad?

I always wondered why Cabela's had the black powder pistols in a separate case near the air guns.

Yes because when buying firearms in other states, the firearm has to be legal in your home state if you are going to transport it back.

OK, follow me on this one because I am confused:

I can not walk into a PA gun store and walk out with a handgun because they still have to do and NICS check and in doing so they will know I am from NJ. I get that.

So at a place like cabela's, can I buy a cap and ball revolver without showing ID? If I understand what others above are saying there is no NICS check for cap and ball? Therefore it would be just like buying a BB gun.

I can buy a BB gun and not show ID. A bb gun is illegal in NJ unless you have a FID card. So bringing a bb gun into NJ is fine as long as I have a FID.

As discussed in other threads, in NJ you need FID and pistol permits to PURCHASE guns. When people move to NJ from other states, or are given guns as part of an inheritance, registration of guns is optional.

Therefore cap and ball revolver could be bought in another state LEGALLY and brought into NJ LEGALLY????

WE MUST CLOSE THE CAP AND BALL LOOPHOLE! OMG THERE WILL BE BLACK POWDER MURDER ON THE STREETS!

I can not walk into a PA gun store and walk out with a handgun because they still have to do and NICS check and in doing so they will know I am from NJ. I get that.

So at a place like cabela's, can I buy a cap and ball revolver without showing ID? If I understand what others above are saying there is no NICS check for cap and ball? Therefore it would be just like buying a BB gun.

I can buy a BB gun and not show ID. A bb gun is illegal in NJ unless you have a FID card. So bringing a bb gun into NJ is fine as long as I have a FID.

As discussed in other threads, in NJ you need FID and pistol permits to PURCHASE guns. When people move to NJ from other states, or are given guns as part of an inheritance, registration of guns is optional.

Therefore cap and ball revolver could be bought in another state LEGALLY and brought into NJ LEGALLY????

WE MUST CLOSE THE CAP AND BALL LOOPHOLE! OMG THERE WILL BE BLACK POWDER MURDER ON THE STREETS!

You are a NJ resident? if so that is where the problem is..

If you live in NJ now.. and you buy a handgun (as per NJ definition of a handgun), it is my understanding that you have to follow NJ guidelines..

providing you purchased it PRIOR to living in NJ.. then SURE it would be legal..

Seems to me that if I don't have to go through any checks in the state I buy the cap and ball revolver in, and OWNING the gun in question is not illegal in NJ, what's the issue?

You could pose that buying a 33rd Glock mag would fall into the same category, no check to buy it at a gun show in PA. But extra large capacity mags are specifically mentioned as illegal in NJ.

Another weird question:

BB handguns, is a Pistol permit needed to purchase one in PA?

PS: I'm just thinking off the cuff. I have no desire to do what I am talking about. I really hate NJ gun laws.

Seems to me that if I don't have to go through any checks in the state I buy the cap and ball revolver in, and OWNING the gun in question is not illegal in NJ, what's the issue?

You could pose that buying a 33rd Glock mag would fall into the same category, no check to buy it at a gun show in PA. But extra large capacity mags are specifically mentioned as illegal in NJ.

Another weird question:

BB handguns, is a Pistol permit needed to purchase one in PA?

PS: I'm just thinking off the cuff. I have no desire to do what I am talking about. I really hate NJ gun laws.

what you are doing is taking a situation NOT worth challenging (IMO of course) and creating a situation where you MAY at some point be challenged.. it would really suck to fight the legal battle for something you could have otherwise legally acquired..

while I am NOT a lawyer.. the issue is you are defeating the requirement of all NJ residents to register handguns they purchase while being a resident of the state.. while the rest of the rational world may not view that as a handgun, the state you live in does.. therefore it is my opinion that you must conform to the standard of your home state..

Right

Correct

Part right, part wrong. BB rifle, true if you have a FPID. BB pistol, not true without a pistol permit.

That only applies when a person is a legal resident of a different state.

If you were to buy a BP pistol in PA and brought it into NJ, you are committing a felony. If caught, you would forfeit your rights to own guns in the United States. Your chances of getting caught approach zero, but are NOT zero. To the state of NJ, it would be no different than you purchasing a Glock 17 or some other firearm universally considered a firearm.

This hyperbole exemplifies why buying a BP rifle or pistol is no big deal in free states.

If you were to buy a BP pistol in PA and brought it into NJ, you are committing a felony. If caught, you would forfeit your rights to own guns in the United States. Your chances of getting caught approach zero, but are NOT zero. To the state of NJ, it would be no different than you purchasing a Glock 17 or some other firearm universally considered a firearm.

does the fed classify those as firearms? if the fed does NOT then is it really breaking a federal law? it is a somewhat unique situation since the place where it would be purchased does NOT view it as a firearm.. but his home state does.. I believe that the HOME STATE trumps whatever rules the other states would have..

does the fed classify those as firearms? if the fed does NOT then is it really breaking a federal law? it is a somewhat unique situation since the place where it would be purchased does NOT view it as a firearm.. but his home state does.. I believe that the HOME STATE trumps whatever rules the other states would have..

You wouldn't be violating federal law, you'd be violating NJ law. A felony conviction in NJ is grounds for future denials in any US jurisdiction.

You wouldn't be violating federal law, you'd be violating NJ law. A felony conviction in NJ is grounds for future denials in any US jurisdiction.

This a Felony, is a Felony.

You might think it's funny to make a joke like that, but there are people out there in various legislatures, who are highly antigun, and are well aware of this so called loophole.