remthewanderer

New NJ resident getting FID and PPs with her old VA DL

If you download and look at the app, one of the questions asks for the DL number.

yeah, but that doesn't mean that you need a DL before you can get a pistol permit or FPID.

The more important question to ask.. What state is she a resident of? Ie, does she still have a residence in VA? If not, and shes truly a NJ resident, then she should get a NJ DL first.

For the record, its been posted here before that Non-NJ residents can get NJ FPID cards.

Pistols on the other hand need to be finally transferred in the person's home state (Federal Law).

If you download and look at the app, one of the questions asks for the DL number.

yeah, but that doesn't mean that you need a DL before you can get a pistol permit or FPID.

True, but leaving anything blank on that application means it's not complete. And at the bottom it says something like "I certify every answer is complete,true, and correct etc etc. May be punished..blah blah"

That might get rejected or sit in a pile for a while if they think it's a non resident app. Maybe it's time for another Petition for Rules change. As you can tell, I really have no faith in this government...both at the municipal and state level. ;)

True, but leaving anything blank on that application means it's not complete. And at the bottom it says something like "I certify every answer is complete,true, and correct etc etc. May be punished..blah blah"

That might get rejected or sit in a pile for a while if they think it's a non resident app. Maybe it's time for another Petition for Rules change. As you can tell, I really have no faith in this government...both at the municipal and state level. ;)

If you legitimately don't have a driver's license, (live in the city, don't own a car, or just plain don't want to, etc).. what would be the problem with putting "None" or "N/A" in that box?

If you legitimately don't have a driver's license, (live in the city, don't own a car, or just plain don't want to, etc).. what would be the problem with putting "None" or "N/A" in that box?

The only problem i see is a rejection with a reason like "no valid proof of legal residence". I remember needing some sort of bill plus a photo ID. If you don't have an accepted form of photo ID then it might cause a problem or at least a delay in the processing. getting a state issued ID (not a DL) is probably a better option.

In this case, she is a resident of NJ who holds a valid VA license. She was told that she could continue to use the VA license until it expires. That did not make much sense to me since as of 2 months ago her primary residence is in NJ. I told her that in order to make the application process smooth, she should get her NJ drivers license.

In this case, she is a resident of NJ who holds a valid VA license. She was told that she could continue to use the VA license until it expires. That did not make much sense to me since as of 2 months ago her primary residence is in NJ. I told her that in order to make the application process smooth, she should get her NJ drivers license.
''

She got some bad information. In other words, 60 days is the max or if your current license expires, you must get it done sooner.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Replacing.htm

---------------------------------------------------

Replacing an out-of-state license

If you have recently moved to New Jersey, you must transfer your out-of-state license within 60 days of your move or before your current license expires, whichever occurs first. Your license cannot be transferred to a New Jersey license if you are under 18 years old. Instead, you must complete the Graduated Driver License (GDL) program requirements.

How to transfer your out-of-state license

To transfer your out-of-state license:

* Visit any MVC Agency with your current driver license (Basic Auto/Motorcycle)

* Bring proper legal documents to pass 6 Point ID and Address Verification

* Knowledge and road tests are waived as long as you have a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states or District of Columbia

* You will be issued a four-year basic New Jersey license and will be required to surrender your out-of-state license.

* If you are under 18, complete the mandatory Graduated Driver License (GDL) program requirements.