Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

Does the flash hider for a M1 need to be welded

I am wondering about the legalities of the T37 flash hider installed on my new M1D in NJ. I know on most semi autos in the state, it needs to be welded or pinned.Does anybody know if I can install it and not get in trouble.

here is a pic of the hider in question....

DSC02363.jpg

I am wondering about the legalities of the T37 flash hider installed on my new M1D in NJ. I know on most semi autos in the state, it needs to be welded or pinned.Does anybody know if I can install it and not get in trouble.

here is a pic of the hider in question....

DSC02363.jpg

It is sad that in N.J. one needs to worry about items like this on such a grand old gal like the M1, especially a correct M1D. The flash-hider on the M1D is also the gas cylinder lock. It's what holds the gas cylinder assembly in place by threading onto the barrel. The gas cylinder lock is held in place by the gas cylinder lock screw. Welding or pinning this in place would inhibit disassembly of the gas cylinder assembly. I know of M1D's with the T37 flash hider in place yet I know the questions people have in N.J. However, I have seen people shoot them. And a proper M1D also draws approving stares from knowledgeable onlookers. If it makes you feel better, buy a standard gas cylinder lock and install it for "public viewing" or for range shooting. I am quite certain the NJSP have no specific stance on this one question and I would agree with Shane45 on the "no pistol grip, no mag" reference as additional qualifiers.

PS - I hate N.J. and her gun laws!

You do not have a detachable magazine or a pistol grip, so your flash hider and bayonet lug are fine. Flash hiders are not illegal in NJ, they are one of the prohibited features and since most military pattern guns people own have a pistol grip and detachable magazine they get this confused with the fact that THEY can't have a flash hider on their gun.

You can have whatever you want on a garand, since it has no detachable magazine. You can have a folding stock, flash hider, pistol grip, bayonet lug, grenade launcher, etc etc etc with no problems. Just no detachable magazine with all of them :facepalm:

• Like 1