AnthonyG

Question on receiving guns

My mom goes to a bible group and one of the women in her group her dad died. He was a war vet and a big gun enthusiast. Some how the woman ended up giving my mom the guns it was from what she said 2 12 gauge shotguns one of which was a George Patton model shotgun from what I was told and a rifle Springfield 1903. I know that its legal to inherit guns, from your father or family if they pass.What should be done in this matter where a person that inherits gives them away.Getting in touch with the woman now may be a issue aswell since this was about 2 years ago and I am unsure if my mother still talks to her. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Too much information missing here.

Did the deceased have a will? Was there a wife or siblings to the daughter?

Was your mother's friend and your mother NJ residents at the time of the transfer?

Is your mother a prohibited person or does she have a FPID card?

• Like 1

The daughter was the beneficiary of his property that I know, my mom is a resident of nj and she has no mental or ciminal issues that could prevent her from owning the guns. The problem is the daughter of the man that died and my mom were too informal about it she basically handed her the guns and that was it. Like I said though the woman had the ownership of them though legally the problem is how she gifted them to my mom. My dad does have a FPID card though, is their some way to say he was gifted them by the woman. The Springfield needs to get to a gun smith because the bolt is jammed and I do not wanna bring it in and get some sort of legal issue cause of how they handled this.

I would say there yours thats that , fill out a certificate of eligibility and give her a copy

This is done through a certificate of eligibility which gets signed by both parties. It sounds like your mom does not have a FID and your dad does, so your dad would need to receive them. The person receiving the firearm needs to have the FID. The original woman that had the guns doesn't need the FID if they were willed to her or she was the beneficiary of his estate.