Sign in to follow this  
oldslabsides

Match Ammo for Ruger MK III Competition Model

Just started dialing in a Weaver 2 x 28 scope on my MK III Competition Model. Benchresting at 50 yds is the distance. Started out with Federal American Eagle copper washed HP's with poor results (3 inch groups) Next was the CCI Mini Mag RN which brought me down to a 2 inch group. Both of these ammo types were high velocity. I'm pretty sure these groups will become smaller with a standard velocity round. Different guns will shoot the same ammo diferently as we all know. Anyone have any experience with any of the different types of .22lr match ammo out there. Just looking for a starting point.

You've already pointed out the fallacy in asking for .22 ammo recommendations. What shoots well in my gun, may not in yours.

That being said - it depends on what you want to spend. You can buy top-shelf .22 match ammo for $18 - $20 per box of 50. From what I've heard (no personal experience with this) surprisingly, Wolf Match .22 is pretty highly regarded and won't break the bank. Might be tough finding it by the box though, and who wants to buy 500 just to find out their gun doesn't like it.

Search Midway to get an idea of how many different brands of match ammo there are and what the spread is when it comes to cost. Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have been shooting federal 525 value pack out of my 1911 conversion and can do 1 inch groups at ten yds.. high velocity 36 grain copper plated.. I would give it a try cant hurt and inexpensive..

I like the federal 40 gr high velocity copper plated game shok comes in 100 plastic pak, been hard to find...thats why i am using the 525 packs..

this stuff..

http://ammoman.com/images3/22LRSC40GR-3.jpg

If interrested in knowing how various ammo works, that'll give me a good starting point when I put a scope on my MKIII. I've been blowing through the 500 bulk packs like mad since I got an ultimate loader, but I do like to hit things instead of just spraying a target with four mags worth of dirty stuff.

Thanks guys, I think I'll start off with some standard velocity first and look at the results. This pistol was just a plinker for me at first. Now I want to see what it's really capable of with the optics. I'll start sampling some of the match ammo as well. There are some interesting articles out there about sub-sonic bullet stability with the .22lr. They say breaking the sound barrier causes waves and then leads to a disrupted flight path. I noticed that all match ammo is 1150 fps or lower. I'll post results as they are available.