Sign in to follow this  
MSaxatilus

Gun on Hold!

Guys,

OK, I have a weird situation regarding a friend of a friend. Here goes......

This guy had acquired a pistol several years ago out of state. Since then he has brought the firearm to NJ and kept it at his local range because he didn't want to keep it at his home due to small children. Now that the kids have grown up he goes back to his range to pick the gun up, and the range will not release the gun back to the owner because "the gun is not registered".

I thought if the gun was legally acquired out of state the gun is OK in NJ? Is something fishy going on here?

Thanks,

MSax

Guys,

OK, I have a weird situation regarding a friend of a friend. Here goes......

This guy had acquired a pistol several years ago out of state. Since then he has brought the firearm to NJ and kept it at his local range because he didn't want to keep it at his home due to small children. Now that the kids have grown up he goes back to his range to pick the gun up, and the range will not release the gun back to the owner because "the gun is not registered".

I thought if the gun was legally acquired out of state the gun is OK in NJ? Is something fishy going on here?

Thanks,

MSax

Is the range a dealership? If they have it in their books as an acquisition, a Permit is needed to take possession back.

I'm going to guess here. Some of our FFL holders may give a better explanation. It would seem that the gun shop is acting like this gun is on consignment. I don't know what the requirements are for storage of a personal firearm at an FFL's, but my feeling is that the FFL has to account for that gun somehow, should he get audited, which menas he entered the gun into his inventory. He also wants to cover his own a$$ in making sure your friend is not a prohibited person. He is probably requiring that your friend get a P2P and will do a NICS check before releasing the gun to him,

just as if he is selling it.

I don't necessarily agree with this in the case of a true consignment, but in these circumstances it is probably prudent on the dealers part.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Federal Law states that all consignments require NICS and NJ Law requires a FPID/P2P upon return. I do not know how a range operates with firearms kept on their premises. Does the range have access to the firearm without the owner present? If so, I would say that all firearms are treated as consignments and are treated like a sale upon return.

Could use a bit more info here. I was talking to an FFL Dealer a couple of weeks ago when I went to pick up a gun. He mentioned the ATF visits and audits he has to go through, and said that he has to log every gun coming in, and every gun going out. Perhaps this is what the range did, log it in to keep up the books for the ATF. The guy also said that a permit is needed to log every gun out.