Sign in to follow this  
deviated rationality

DR's List of most important Items you need to have

DR's List of most important Items you need to have: ( in no particular order )

1. Cordage (550, upholstery, Rope, Twine)

2. Addictive Items (Cigarettes, Coffee, Alcohol)

3. Knives ( large, small, and medium. Should have knives that are job specific: Carving, skinning, Combat, and survival. Make sure you check metal quality, have High grades and low grade knives)

4. Sharpening stones

5. Portable knife sharpener (Just in case, usually quite small and light)

6. Durable BOB (bug out bag) with at least 2,000 cubic inches storage space

7. Durable Combat/hiking boots (without reflective tape)

8. A few ziplock bags of dryer lint

9. A few ziplock bags of cotton balls mixed with petroleum jelly

10. 2 packages of fire sticks

11. Pocket Water filter (katadyn pocket is great) w/ 3-5 spare filters (not cheap)

12. Mini Water filter (w/10-15 spare filters)

13. 5 sets of water purification tablets (with iodine)

14. 2 Iodine crystal bottles for water purification

15. Crow bar set (Fu-bar III, Crowbar, Fatmax Utility bar)

16. First aid kit (include blood clotting agents)

17. Tarps (have a lot. a good variety, from 6x8 up to 20x40; Have a lot of the smaller and only 1 or 2 of the largest) (make sure these are brown or green on one side or the other, silver is OK but not blue)

18. Pruning Shears

19. Pruning Saw

20. ZIP TIES! (Have tons of these, all different lengths and widths)

21. DUCT TAPE! (make sure its good quality, dollar store Duct Tape can be chincy)

22. Baby wipes (TONS OF THESE)

23. 3 changes of cloths (tops, bottoms, underwear, undershirt, socks)

24. E-Tool

25. Quality Hatchet

26. Serated knife sharpener

27. SAS Survival book

28. Metal Canteen cup

29. CamelBak Hydration Bladder

30. Mulit-tool (Leatherman, Gerber, Swiss Army, ect.) These are IMPERATIVE.

31. Quality Binoculars ( either 8x or 10x; anything higher is hard to keep steady. I recommend Nikon for high quality and good price, or REI)

32. Wire Saw

33. Signal Mirror

34. Sabercut Hand-Chain saw (Chainsaw chain but worked with hands at either end)

35. Firesteel

36. Weather Proof Matches

37. 100-pack tea-light candles

38. 9-hour candles/citronella

39. Fishing line

40. Fishing Hooks (get as many as you can, they are small and light and indispensable)

41. Fishing Net

42. US Issue MIL-Spec Lensatic Compass ($75-150, dont get cheap compasses ever

43. Emergency thermal blankets/bivy (Mylar)

44. Water Proof bag

45. Permathrin (Washed into your clothes, bug/tick killer, not deet)

46. Lighters (no less than 5, ideally having torch lighters)

47. Lighter Fluid (stock UP on theses)

48. Snares

49. 5 gallon buckets (at least 5)

50. Funnels (Have a lot of sizes on hand)

51. Balance Scale (barter trade/chemical measurements)

52. Syphon hose

53. Latex Rubber Hose (stoking fires, tourniquet )

54. Metal tubing (short, goes into the latex rubber hose, good for stoking fires)

55. Sewing kit (dont chince out, get lots of needles, all different types, thread, and BUTTONS!)

• Like 1

I would also recommend some type of IR indicator. Whether its a small IR tab or IR flag, or even one of those Princeton Tec strobing IR lights. A person can greatly assist individuals performing SAR operations, especially at night. Tabs and Flags are like 10-15$, the small IR lights are around 20$.

I think "prescription medications" should be added to this list.

Also, regarding #11 (pocket water filter). I picked up the Katadyn Pocket Filter, which is generally considered to be the top-of-the-line pocket water filter.

It's a solid, well-built product. I got it from ManVenture Outpost, where it was significantly cheaper than any other place on the web.

Product link

Unfortunately, you have to sign up for an account to view the price (it's $190.92).

I think "prescription medications" should be added to this list.

Also, regarding #11 (pocket water filter). I picked up the Katadyn Pocket Filter, which is generally considered to be the top-of-the-line pocket water filter.

It's a solid, well-built product. I got it from ManVenture Outpost, where it was significantly cheaper than any other place on the web.

Product link

Unfortunately, you have to sign up for an account to view the price (it's $190.92).

LOL. Those are great, which is why I posted in parenthesis right next to it that very product. Soon I am going to be linking my wish list on amazon to give a better idea of some of the products I am looking to get/already have.

Dryer lint is extremely flammable, but it burns out quickly as well. For this reason I have the cotton balls soaked with Petroleum Jelly on the list, they too burn, but for a longer (much longer) amount of time. Sometimes they can be a pain to start though.

A great and easy fire starter is dried orange peels and or corn stocks soaked in kerosene. Dried orange peels burn hot with a heavy flame. I save all my peels and use them in the winter to start my fires.. Not to mention the smell is pretty good.

Im currently working on a lot of other topics right now, and trying to maintain a website for airsoft in NJ/north eastern US, while researching some other items. I am however still working on this stuff. As soon as I get more projects completed I will be posting them up.

I will ask all of you, however, to think about everything that surrounds you, and how much of it is made of petroleum (plastic, rubber, latex, fuel, ect). Now think about whats going to happen when (not if) it stops flowing. Not saying this will happen soon, but it's going to happen within the next 50 years (Im being extremely generous here).

Sign in to follow this