Sign in to follow this  
mike

anyone fix computers

need someone to fix computer screen goes blue.

Are you getting the "blue screen of death" when your computer boots? If so, did you change anything? The "Blue screen of death" is usually corrupted operating system on the hard drive if no hardware change. If you're running windows, you may need a windows reload. Is this a newer computer? Need more details.

no changes that i know of .sometimes bsod occurs when already on computer,running windows vista.dont know much about computers.any help would be appreciated or a reliable tech service.thanks

The first thing I would do is make sure all updates are downloaded and scan for viruses. Next,I would reload Vista. Try to get the software problems out of the way first. A hardware defect can cause this, but it's difficult to troubleshoot without swapping parts.

When did the problem start happening? How often does it happen? How old is the computer? What type of computer? Need more info on hardware specs and problem.

Is it continuously BSODing? If you can access your files back up all you documents and pics, etc. Anything that is important to you that you don't want to lose. Most manufacturers give you a restore disk, or at least an operating software disk to reload the OS. If you haven't made any changes, most likely it is a bad sector on the hard drive. After you have everything you want off of the computer you can format the drive and then re-install the OS, then copy your files back.

BSOD can be quite a few different things.

I had a vista machine just this week that would BSOD. Malwarebytes picked up a couple things, once cleaned the machine has been fine going on 5-6 days now. It would make 3 hours before.

BSOD can also be a hardware problem but it's more likely to be software. If possible try doing a system restore back a few weeks(or some period before the problem began), see if the behavior goes away.

#1 culprit is malware.

+1 for Malwarebytes. My computer got so jammed up at one point it would no longer load windows. I was able to load Malwarebytes in safe mode, and ran it. Cleaned up a bunch of bad stuff I picked up on certain websites.

Is it continuously BSODing? If you can access your files back up all you documents and pics, etc. Anything that is important to you that you don't want to lose. Most manufacturers give you a restore disk, or at least an operating software disk to reload the OS. If you haven't made any changes, most likely it is a bad sector on the hard drive. After you have everything you want off of the computer you can format the drive and then re-install the OS, then copy your files back.

Great point - back up your data!

BSOD can be quite a few different things.

I had a vista machine just this week that would BSOD. Malwarebytes picked up a couple things, once cleaned the machine has been fine going on 5-6 days now. It would make 3 hours before.

BSOD can also be a hardware problem but it's more likely to be software. If possible try doing a system restore back a few weeks(or some period before the problem began), see if the behavior goes away.

#1 culprit is malware.

I actually find most BSOD are from bad drivers or software

I actually find most BSOD are from bad drivers or software

I see all of the above. When malware rewrites some of the core winsock components with their own version so as to redirect and sniff IP traffic, it frequently causes BSODs.

Most commercial software will not cause BSOD. Piss poor device drivers can cause it as well, but that's mostly a thing of the past. It's usually when a program is screwing around doing something it shouldn't and most of the time, that's Malware.

Do you work where there is an IT dept? Ask those people if they ever do outside work. If not, maybe a friend can help or ask someone who works in the local schools. Many school boards have techs on staff and you can usually find one of 'em who does outside jobs.

As mentioned, Malware is a big problem can cause all kinds of problems.

If you have added anything new in software or hardware, try to reverse what you did. Sometimes a computer can be started in 'safe mode' when it won't start in normal mode. Check your computer's operating manual or bootup screen to find how to start 'safe mode'. It will probably be by pressing F8, F1, or F2 when the computer is booting up. In safe mode you may be able to uninstall the item that started the problem.

I know the following may sound complicated but it's really not that bad.

If you can't start it any other way and you haven't been able to backup anything and the stuff is worth saving, here's an idea. Buy a new hard drive (pices vary with size but a 500GB drive can be had for about $60). You will have to determine what type of hard drive you have. There are two types, IDE and SATA. It should be stated on the label. It's easy to install. It will be either on tracks that let the drive slide out or, at most, a couple of screws. The plugs are easy to figure out and will go back in only one way. Load a new copy of Windows on the new hard drive from the software that came with your computer. Buy an adapter for the old hard drive (make sure it works with your type of drive, IDE or SATA)that will allow you to connect the old hard drive to your computer via a USB cable (costs about $30). Most likely the problem with old drive will have affected only the operating system. Hook up the adapter, and plug it in with the USB cable to your computer. Open 'My computer' and you will see an extra drive (probably labeled "E"). You should be able to locate all of you old documents, pictures, music, videos, etc. and copy them to your new hard drive (labeled "c").

If you can get to a working computer check YouTube videos on how to do this.

This is hard to explain here but it's the best I could do from a distance.