Guest schutzen-jager

24 gauge

Guest schutzen-jager

DSCN0160.jpg

looking for 24 guage loading data for new toy - using brass cases + red dot powder - any ideas ?

Red Dot seems too fast a burn rate for such a narrow bore. Red Dot is used only in 12 ga. applications or as a starter powder for some of the heftier charges of slow burning stuff in the larger bores. I'd think Hodgdon's Univ. Clays, HS-6 or Longshot is more suited for the 24 ga. since all are used in the 20 ga. AND 28 ga. Alliant's 20/28, Green Dot and Unique powders all should be compatible since they too are used in the 20 & 28 gauges.

Only place I can find load data for this gauge. You just have to purchase the manual:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Small-Bore-Manual-24-28-32-410-3rd-ed/productinfo/00MSB/

I'd post your question on the ShotgunWorld forum or on the DoubleGunShop forum: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php. My guess is you'll get a more detailed response than mine. Good luck.

PS - my buddy hunts everything upland with a European 24 gauge SxS. More than adequate on pen-raised pheasants. I think his shotgun scales at only 5 lbs. Beautiful little gun.

Guest schutzen-jager

i shot it last week with some blackpowder hand loads - less than 12" pattern at 40 yds. - the brass .24 guage shells cost me more than the gun -

Guest schutzen-jager

I like the sling

was on it when i got it - former german gamekeepers gun - most all prewar european shotguns seem to have sling swivels -

i shot it last week with some blackpowder hand loads - less than 12" pattern at 40 yds. - the brass .24 guage shells cost me more than the gun -

Watch where you step when using them, on crushed case, and you'll be hurtin'.

Brass shotgun shells, the pain that keeps on giving......