Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

.458 SOCOM

I did a bunch of research on the 458 and decided it wasn't worth it for those of us behind enemy lines. If you have deep pockets and what something unique, all the power to you. It is a powerhouse round. If you reload you can do a lot with it. If not, you are going to be paying thru the nose as ammo and brass suppliers are very limited. One of my biggest concerns is if the round doesn't sell well, how long is it going to be around? Also the magazine issues. IIRC, you only get 1/3 of the capacity of that of a AR. So a 15 round NJ compliant mag is only going to yield 5 rounds. In free states, having ten 458's stacked, you can stop a few vehicles at a roadblock or decimate a herd of buffalo. I figured I might as well go with one of the AR-300wsm type of set-ups.

I did a bunch of research on the 458 and decided it wasn't worth it for those of us behind enemy lines. If you have deep pockets and what something unique, all the power to you. It is a powerhouse round. If you reload you can do a lot with it. If not, you are going to be paying thru the nose as ammo and brass suppliers are very limited. One of my biggest concerns is if the round doesn't sell well, how long is it going to be around? Also the magazine issues. IIRC, you only get 1/3 of the capacity of that of a AR. So a 15 round NJ compliant mag is only going to yield 5 rounds. In free states, having ten 458's stacked, you can stop a few vehicles at a roadblock or decimate a herd of buffalo. I figured I might as well go with one of the AR-300wsm type of set-ups.

I noticed how pricey 20 rounds is, and I feel that if your gonna pay that much, you should just get a more common round. The brass is pricey too, over $100 for 250 rounds. With regards to the bullet, I wonder how far off it is from any other .45cal, I mean I use .457's in my cap and ball guns.

But you're right, if you're just gonna ding steel at 100 or 200 yards, .223 can do it, for a bunch of less $$$.

I'm just busting balls on the video a little here. The ammo is so expensive they only filmed one guy firing a few rounds. But the muzzle view made it look like a flame thrower. Now a flamer thrower upper would be something I would be interested in. Light the grill, start the fireplace, chipmunk extractions, the possibilities are endless for a AR-Roaster.

Not for nothing, but a 7.62x39 would cut thru the block too. Although it looked like the cavities of the block were sand filled. Regardless, a 308 / 6.5 / 6.8 would do even better then the x39. If I had to pick one beefed up upper to swap with using the 5.56 lower, I'd lean towards a 6.5 / 6.8. Even so, I see having two guns, M4'forgery for close range soft targets and the 308 SOCOM / M1A Scout for everything else. I'll leave the SCAR and stuff we civies can't get out of the mix. Me, I leans towards the 308 because I also use it on bolt guns (hunting and precision) and there are A LOT of flavors to pick from in 308 for cheap in the 147 to150 grain variety. FMJ, AP, Tracer, OTM, HP, CO2 seeking...well not yet, but I'm working on it. :icon_lol: BTW, there is nothing wrong with a good AR in 308. I had an AR10-T with a 24" HB and a 20" upper and sold that package. Took a few deer with it, but found it was a little too heavy for the woods. And for some reason the heavier AR didn't balance as well humping around in the field. I've humped a M1 Garand on some hunting trips and that seemed to be better balanced for long hauls, hence my nod to the bottom feeder M1A Scout (18" barrel w/muzzle brake).

If I had money to blow would I get a 458? Yes I would! But when it comes time to show whose is bigger, well, I'll just drop my zipper...:facepalm:

post-2344-063504200 1289569187_thumb.jpg

I have looked at the 450, 50 beo, 458 socom SO many times its not even funny. In the end I would go with the Beo over the socom (the 450 bm just aint doing it for me) because its ammo seems to come up available more often at more reasonable prices in this catagory. If I were a reloading hog hunter I would go 458. BUT the rainbow trajectories ALWAYS turn me off and I scrap the idea. If I want to stop a vehicle Ill use a 308 AR pattern rifle.

Shane