Sign in to follow this  
vladtepes

Group Pictures

Here are the two groups I shot on Sunday... better of the two was second..

111420102.jpg

111420101.jpg

both shot a little low but I think that is just scope adjustment.. really happy with how the gun shot.. 5 shot groups.. slow from the bench..

This is the rifle..

308working.jpg

• Like 2

Nice! Whatever you did for that second group...keep doing it lol

didnt do much different than the first set.. just really slowed it down a lot.. at what range do you think this gun, round, barrel combo would be accurate to.. I really didn't expect it to even be this good considering shorter barrel (16in) non-bolt gun..

You need to define accuracy parameter. Sub MOA? Minute of man? Barrel length has little to do with accuracy.

that is a valuable point.. because this group, and simply COM are obviously totally different..

I guess my question was more this.. I was shooting 7in orange peel targets.. given the accuracy that it has shown at 100 yards.. at what point will the accuracy degrade so much that I won't stay somewhere on that 7in target.. given ideal circumstances.. I understand ammo, shooter ability, and even things like eye sight will play a factor.. but I am more saying given an ideal set of circumstances just guessing..

The greatest challenge you will face is not likely with mechanical accuracy. It will be with wind call. When you start opening up to say 500 yards, thats a good amount of distance for the wind to interact with your projo. Look at a drift chart for 308. Look how far off the target you will be with evan a minimal wind call error. 10 mph cross wind @ 500 yds is, what, around 2 feet? Miss the call by 5 mph and your a foot off the target. So in my mind the paramount skill is accurate wind call for LR shooting. A 1.5 moa gun is still within 7.5 inches @ 500 yds. A 2 moa rifle is 10". Wind drift can pull you off over 2 feet. See what Im saying?

The gun is obviously MOA capable. Barrel length affects range more than accuracy, infact, a shorter barrel is usually more accurate due to less whip. You'll probably see accuracy start falling off around 750 yards or so. Take that with a grain of salt though, thats just my wild guess. a 308 bolt gun can barely make 1,000 yards due to the limitations of the round itself. Your accuracy will take a dump once the round becomes subsonic.

AND EASIER ON AMMO COSTS!!!

I noticed that.. My favorite gun has always been my Saiga.. standing.. laying.. whatever.. I can pretty religiously put rounds on steel at 100 yards.. so I normally spend lots of time moving around between different steel targets at 75-100 yards.. and it is fun and all.. cheap ammo.. you know.. so I had the 308 with me and decided to try paper more on a whim as I was never really that much of a paper shooter.. but when I actually took my time.. it was way more challenging, and more gratifying.. and as you said.. 50ish rounds of 308 only works out to $40ish bucks..

AND EASIER ON AMMO COSTS!!!

Granted. But remember that slippery slope of which I spoke. Check out some of the neat toys that you use to play this game and you'll find ammo costs are the least of your worries...

http://www.sinclairintl.com/

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No, ammo is the biggest :D, @ $120 a box of 20, its the largest part of the equation for my precision rifle. I know, I know, reload. Im just not that comfortable yet reloading for a rifle cartridge in the 90 grains of powder realm!

And in the context of a semi, shooting 20, slow, for this type of shooting is better on the wallet than 200 running and gunning :D

Shooting precision groups with a red dot is difficult. I find I actually shoot smaller groups with irons. You have to remember that dot covers up a lot of realestate. For example my t1 micro is covering 4 inches @ 100 yds. Hard to be precise with that. But its great for running and gunning! Heres a 5 shot group I shot @ 100 out of an OBR with factory Corbon ammo. It was .346 center to center.

obr.jpg

What range would you shoot out to with a red dot sight? Thats all i have, but i figure it would be tough to see what i'm aiming at longer ranges.

edit: Without a magnifier

I have made hits on steel out to 400m with an EoTech on an AR. Red dot sights are made so you can quickly get shots on man sized targets... If you want to shoot .5" groups at 300m buy glass because that is not what a rifle with an red dot is designed for.

Most red dots are 1-4moa in size so at 100m the dot on a 4moa sight (like a t1) will cover 4"...so shooting 1" groups at 100m with a 4moa dot is rather challenging...

This was shot with a mk4 4.5-14 @ 100m

IMG_0930.jpg

and this was with an AR with a 10x Nikon mildot @ 200m (shitty ammo used)

IMG_0929.jpg

Using an Eotech XPS2 I have never shot for "groups" at 100m because that isn't what it's designed for...