Sign in to follow this  
shooter28

Inheritance question

I looked around and could quite find the information I was looking for. My grandfather died and left an old shotgun to me. It was not mentioned in his will however. He was also a resident of IL. Do I need to have it transfered to a ffl here in nj to take ownership or can I just take the shotgun? I am actually out here in IL right now. Lastly, I don't have a fid card but legally i am able to own a firearm.

If not specifically defined in a will, it must go through an FFL meaning you would need to get a Purchaser ID.

How is it that it was left to you? The executor of the will assigned it to you?

Have you lived in NJ your entire life or did you live in Illinois at some point after your 18th birthday and your grandfather gave you the firearm then?

To the best of my knowledge you would need to have it transferred to you, by the beneficiary of his estate. So that would mean you grandmother, if still alive, or one there children. This would mean you would need an FID in the state of NJ, and you would need an COE to be completed by you and the seller. I'm not entirely sure, but the lawyer may be able to pull some strings and grant the fire arm to be willed to you, in other words, if people in your family say that he wanted it to go to you, you may be able to prove that regardless of the actual will, the firearm was intended to be willed to you. However, if its a case of, no one knows, and no one wants it who was the beneficiary, the lawyer may not want to get in the middle of deciding who gets it, since he really doesnt know, and would just default on the primary beneficiary to avoid a lawsuit, cause its possible some one may change there mind and feel they got screwed.

If you were named to specifically receive the shotgun, it's yours. No paperwork or transfer needs to take place. If you are not specifically named, the gun will have to be transferred to you by your grandfather's next of kin.

If you were named to specifically receive the shotgun, it's yours. No paperwork or transfer needs to take place. If you are not specifically named, the gun will have to be transferred to you by your grandfather's next of kin.

Yes. All you need is a legal form stating you were the person to which the guns would be willed to. With out it there is no way to prove where they came from.

**If you can get in touch with the lawyer who took care of your grandfathers will, i would do so and see what he says.