Sign in to follow this  
halbautomatisch

Eddystone serial numbers

Picked up a decent Eddystone at the auction with Usnmars and gang yesterday. I can only find serial numbers on the receiver. Does anyone know if they typically have them on any other parts? Wanted to see if it's got matching numbers but can't find any on the bolt or exposed portions of the barrel. Haven't tried to take the stock off to look at the rest of the barrel.

The bolt and some other parts do have E (for eddystone?)stamped into them and the barrel has 3/19 (march 1919?) on it but no numbers. Does also have some nice flaming bomb markings on various parts.

allrighty, let me dig into the back of mind and see what i can pull out. Most US rifles only have a serial number on the receiver. All small parts will just have the letter for the maker(E for eddystone, R for Remington, and W for Winchester) So if your gun is an Eddystone(which it is) most small parts such as the bolt body, cocking piece, possibly rear sight(not sure) and barrel should be marked with an E. Yes your barrel was made in 1919. If you find any parts that are marked with a R or W you know they are replacement parts and the gun was rebuilt at some time in its history. The Flaming bomb is the US ordinance stamp which means it was inspected and accepted for military use. Winchesters were not accepted to be sent overseas because they didn't machine all the parts to the other companies specs. So there were parts interchangeability issues. Winchester rifles would only work with Winchester parts. Rather than have to send special Winchester parts overseas, they decided to keep the all Winchesters state side for logistic reasons. I think (may be wrong) since the Winchesters weren't deemed acceptable enough to go overseas, they do not have the flaming bomb cartouches.

One of these days my brain is going to have a complete memory dump...........

Thanks Eric, that was helpful, I'm glad I got that out of you before you have a brain crash.

All the parts have "E" on them, including the rear sight, except the barrel which has a "W" on it and a flaming bomb and the cocking piece which also has a "W" on it.

Does that mean the barrel is a replacement? If so they must have used an older stock barrel when referbing since it's dated 3/19.