sum159

How can I get my firearms back from police?

How can I get my firearms back from police without a firearms license.

I lost mine some 20 years ago, apparantly when we moved from Browns Mills.

Now the local PD has my firearms for "safekeeping" and I cannot get them back without the firearms license.

They gave me forms to fill out including character refereneces which have to be notarized. Seems like I have to hassle friends for no good reason.

Would a lawyer help or hurt.

Looking for opinions of experienced people, thanks.

How did your guns end up with the police?

Frankly, the quickest, easiest way to get them back is to get your Firearms Purchaser ID, if that's what they've agreed to.

If you're a prohibited person, you're not going to get those guns back no matter what.

I've never heard of the character references needing to be notarized.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, consult a lawyer. He's probably going to tell you to get a Purchaser ID.

They won't give them to you if you don't have an fid....so apply for it. I don't think there's a requirement to have the references notorized tho.

Unfortunately in Waterford Twp they require that your 2 references have their forms notorized !!

"It really doesn't matter why they were taken"

His local police chief may disagree with you.

The OP wrote "Now the local PD has my firearms for "safekeeping" and I cannot get them back without the firearms license.

They gave me forms to fill out including character refereneces which have to be notarized. Seems like I have to hassle friends for no good reason." So I assumed they told him he could have them back.

• Like 1

Guest megaman

How can I get my firearms back from police without a firearms license.

I lost mine some 20 years ago, apparantly when we moved from Browns Mills.

Now the local PD has my firearms for "safekeeping" and I cannot get them back without the firearms license.

They gave me forms to fill out including character refereneces which have to be notarized. Seems like I have to hassle friends for no good reason.

Would a lawyer help or hurt.

Looking for opinions of experienced people, thanks.

To the uninitiated...this is the state of NJ and you are a gun owner. You now need to ask if you can have your rights to own guns. The other place that keeps guns for safekeeping is ENGLAND, where guns holding more than 2 shells are banned, and forget about a pistol, not allowed. If you own a shotgun over there, it must be kept with the police for safe keeping when you are not at the 'sporting club'...what a shame. I hope you get your guns back.

Now that you are here, you need to do your homework and read the laws and get involved.

Its not for the faint of heart....

Most employers have a notary in the office and they may notarize forms for free. It is likely that you have friends who are firearms friendly - you just don't know it.

I agree - the simplest way forward seems to be just applying for your FPID. Did you happen to have any handguns seized? If so, you will likely need to apply for pistol permits at the same time - and if you want to retrieve multiple pistols, all at once, you will likely need the OGAM (One Gun A Month) exemption form filled out as well.

It really doesn't matter why they were taken. The point is that the police said that he could get them back. He needs a FPID and P2P for each handgun.

It's a bit off topic as to the OP, but does this apply to when firearms are taken for "safekeeping" in other circumstances, like an MVA while transporting, or a fire in the home / some other reason that they can't be secured?

And then.. to add another monkey wrench into things.. how does that paperwork work out?

If the owner needs a ppp or fpid (coe?) to get them back, do the police have to fill out anything like that upon receipt?