Frank Jack Fiamingo

Senator Sweeney to look into NJ Carry Laws

The President and Legislative Affairs Chair of the NJ2AS recently met with Senator Steve Sweeney.This article By Matt Friedman/Statehouse Bureau appeared on NJ.com today:

"Sweeney also said he would seek to revise the state’s law on carrying handguns in the wake of the case of Brian Aitken, whose seven-year prison sentence was commuted to just four months of time served this week by Gov. Chris Christie. He was released Tuesday.

Aitken had handguns he purchased in Colorado locked and unloaded in his car’s trunk, but was arrested in January 2009 after his mother, concerned for his well-being, called the police. They searched his car and arrested him upon finding the guns because he did not have a carry permit.

Sweeney said the prosecutor had discretion and should have decided not to prosecute Aitken.

“Obviously we have to make a correction to the law and I’m going to work with Sen. (Jeff) Van Drew to craft a solution,” said Sweeney. “That was truly a tragic case where a young man, trying to do the right thing… We’ll clarify the area that put this young man in jail. I spoke to Jeff Van Drew about this recently… about crafting language based on what happened to spell it out."

Click for full article

I wonder if Sweeney actually means "firearms transport" laws, as opposed to "carry" laws...BIG difference. Either way, I hope it's for the better and not to make it worse.

I'm sure that's what he means, since without the CCW, you need to fall into certain exemptions, so dollars to donuts, they'll be reforming these exemptions.

But where are the NJ Republicans on this issue?

I'm sure that's what he means, since without the CCW, you need to fall into certain exemptions, so dollars to donuts, they'll be reforming these exemptions.

But where are the NJ Republicans on this issue?

That may be true. It may be all we can get with the current legislature. Let's not discount the fact that the President of the Senate was willing to meet with the NJ2AS and discuss how bad the current laws are. The fact that he is willing to look in to it and sponsor legislation to improve the situation is a good thing. Remember, we are attacking these laws at every possible level, Judicial, Executive, AND Legislative. These are all positive moves. Our job right now is to keep up the momentum. It is more than we had yesterday, and we haven't stopped pushing for more. Let's stay positive and motivated. There is MORE to come.