HAVE I READ CORRECT

according to the last admendment to leosa hollow points are legal for us out of state leo's

Even if they aren't, LEO's get special treatment anyway. Do you really think you'd be charged/tried if you get caught with them? I remember a few years ago a PA cop lost his gun on a ride in Ocean City and some kid found it. There were never any charges for him... Do you think the rest of the serfs would have received the same treatment?

• Like 2

HAVE I READ CORRECT

according to the last admendment to leosa hollow points are legal for us out of state leo's

Yes. http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92258&Searchpage=1&Main=10515&Search=true#Post92258

(e) As used in this section, the term `firearm'...

(2) includes ammunition not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act; ...

• Like 1

Even if they aren't, LEO's get special treatment anyway. Do you really think you'd be charged/tried if you get caught with them? I remember a few years ago a PA cop lost his gun on a ride in Ocean City and some kid found it. There were never any charges for him... Do you think the rest of the serfs would have received the same treatment?

Yes, there have been instances where out of state LE have been hassled for hicaps and HP ammo by Prosecutors. Happy now?

• Like 1

Has this passed?

Obama signed off on these amendments in October.

What about the $50 that goes in the state's pockets that out-of-staters don't have to pay? Not to mention qualifying costs.

If you meet the LEOSA requirements you don't have to pay to carry in 44 other states.

I have read the NJ AG's opinion retired LEOs who are NJ residents must get a carry permit from NJ. I think there would be problems prosecuting a retired LEO NJ resident who met all the requirements of LEOSA and didn't get a NJ permit. The NJ AG's opinion seems to be contrary to Federal law on this issue.

• Like 1

Being a retired LEO out of NJ but now living in the free state of FL, my wife and I travel back and forth to NJ to see family a couple times a year.

I qualify here and carry under HR 218 and I have been restricted by the no HP ammo in NJ since moving here 4.5 years ago.

Prior to that, I was also restricted by the same NJ law carrying as a retired LEO w/the NJ Retired Officer's Carry Permit.

I still have some contacts left in NJ and brought up the revisions to HR 218 (S.1132) to one of those contacts who in turn contacted a current assistant NJ AG who deals with firearm issues for the state.

No names will be used here for obvious reasons but this is the Reader's Digest version of the reply that we got.

My own personal opinion, and not that of the others

who will decide this issue, is that the revisions to 218 would permit an officer

in New Jersey to carry hollow nose ammo.

Being a retired LEO out of NJ but now living in the free state of FL, my wife and I travel back and forth to NJ to see family a couple times a year.

I qualify here and carry under HR 218 and I have been restricted by the no HP ammo in NJ since moving here 4.5 years ago.

Prior to that, I was also restricted by the same NJ law carrying as a retired LEO w/the NJ Retired Officer's Carry Permit.

I still have some contacts left in NJ and brought up the revisions to HR 218 (S.1132) to one of those contacts who in turn contacted a current assistant NJ AG who deals with firearm issues for the state.

No names will be used here for obvious reasons but this is the Reader's Digest version of the reply that we got.

My own personal opinion, and not that of the others

who will decide this issue, is that the revisions to 218 would permit an officer

in New Jersey to carry hollow nose ammo.

Problem with that is the NJ AG's office. the AG's have persisted even after LEOSA passed that Retired NJ Officers MUST have a State Carry permit. Funny thing is that a retired LEO from Fla who moved to NJ (Ok, i know..it'll never happen LOL) wouldnt have to comply with the state permit as he wasnt Ever an NJ LEO.

Bottom line is A typical nj officer wont bother an out of state LEo but A CHERRY might. Second is the dumb A$$ AG is gonna try to fry you if you have a use of forse incident and even if it was rightous they are gonna try and pin ya. My thoughts are If im legal and in the right IM ALIVE AND THE PERP ISNT AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS TO ME

Problem with that is the NJ AG's office. the AG's have persisted even after LEOSA passed that Retired NJ Officers MUST have a State Carry permit. Funny thing is that a retired LEO from Fla who moved to NJ (Ok, i know..it'll never happen LOL) wouldnt have to comply with the state permit as he wasnt Ever an NJ LEO.

What you say is sadly correct however, add the NJSP to the list when you talk about problems in NJ and retirees carrying legally. The have fought the retired officers carry permit since day one and have tried to throw in road blocks along the way every chance they got. Last I knew, they won't even qualify their own retirees so they can obtain a permit. I have been an RO on the line at Sea Girt when SP retirees had to come to the AG's DOJ firearms unit to qual.

I'm not saying it's right but, one thing that the "card" does is give the retiree a physical means to prove that he/she has met the qual requirements to carry along with their retired (photo)credentials.

Here in FL, they have bent over backwards to get LE retirees qualified under HR 218. When I moved here 4.5 years ago, there was nothing in place.

A retiree, after successful qual, receives a "card" which is the same as an active LEO with the FDLE seal as proof of qual. The SO that I qual with doesn't even charge for the service and welcomes ALL retirees. :icon_mrgreen:

Being somewhat selfish, I hope the HP provision of S. 1132 is recognized in NJ so I don't have to swap out my ammo when traveling to NJ. :icon_neutral:

Found it:

This directive from AG Peter Harvey dated June 7, 2005

C. Retired Police Officers

The passage of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act does not alter the obligation of retired New Jersey law enforcement officers to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6I in order to carry a firearm in this state. Absent statutory changes to our retired officer permitting procedures, it remains in full effect and officers must comply with its requirements. Furthermore, retired New Jersey police offices who carry a gun in another state are ordinary citizens. The right to carry a gun under H.R. 218 does not imply the right to exercise police powers. Further information concerning the rights and obligations of retired New Jersey police officers to carry a firearm under H.R. 218 will be issued in the near future.

If the retired officer qualifies twice per year and mails in proof to the NJSP, would this not meet the requirement of the statute? Let them keep their $50 ID card. The officer has his Department issued ID which satisfies HR218.