Sign in to follow this  
mikeyboyeee

Boresnakin

I use a boresnake 3-4 times for a quick clean and to minimize any muzzle wear on a gun you can't clean from the breech like a M1. I suppose you could do a really good clean witha boresnake but you'd need a few of them to swap off as they got dirty.

I pull the boresnake through until the gun is clean. Even in my filthy Ruger Mark II, I've only ever had to do it twice in one cleaning. In the AR, once per cleaning has been enough but I've only cleaned it twice.

Always run a dry patch after you run an oily one or at least before you shoot it again. I'd rather have a rusty barrel than a catastrophic barrel failure.

I use the boresnake to get the initial crude out after a run of a wet patch. I'll then do my wet/dry patch routine, with brass brush if needed. Then use the snake again. I always wipe the snake in a clean cloth between uses, sometimes with a little solvent on the cloth.

Always run a dry patch after you run an oily one or at least before you shoot it again. I'd rather have a rusty barrel than a catastrophic barrel failure.

I haven't heard this before, could you explain further as i'm very curious. I agree you want to get any solvent out with a dry patch. But I always run a wet patch of Eezox down the bore for corrosion protection. Also before I go shooting, sometimes I run a patch of Militec down the barrel. I always dry the chamber, as I know wet lube in the chamber is not good. The shell needs to have some friction with the chamber (learned this from my M1A maintenance guide).

I run it through twice, inspect and then run I through again with a piece of fabric (dropped with oil and looped through the loop of the snake) for the finish. I hope that made sence.

I use the boresnake to get the initial crude out after a run of a wet patch. I'll then do my wet/dry patch routine, with brass brush if needed. Then use the snake again. I always wipe the snake in a clean cloth between uses, sometimes with a little solvent on the cloth.

I haven't heard this before, could you explain further as i'm very curious. I agree you want to get any solvent out with a dry patch. But I always run a wet patch of Eezox down the bore for corrosion protection. Also before I go shooting, sometimes I run a patch of Militec down the barrel. I always dry the chamber, as I know wet lube in the chamber is not good. The shell needs to have some friction with the chamber (learned this from my M1A maintenance guide).

You answered your own question.

While it would be exceedingly unlikely that a sheen of oil could cause a barrel to fail, ANYTHING that constricts the barrel could cause it to fail. Maybe it pools at the bottom and creates an issue. Who knows. I'm not advocating that you don't protect your barrel, I'm advocating that you don't leave it wet.