Col. Mortimer

2011 Tactical Rifle Match Schedule, Cherry Ridge

From Matt "HazMatt" Popola:

Tactical Rifle Match at Cherry Ridge

The Tactical Rifle Match is a contest for scoped, centerfire rifles fired at 300 yards.

The match is shot in two relays, with shooters working through four distinct stages of fire.

Stage one is the Cold Bore Shot, which is exactly what it sounds like; the first shot from a cold bore. This is taken at a three inch black circle and worth 50 points, and the time limit is one minute. This is followed immediately by 5 minutes of unlimited sighters.

Stage two is Shapes, and is shot at familiar geometric shaped targets (black shapes with 3 inch white centers.) Shooter will have 5 minutes to engage 10 specified targets. Scoring is 10, 5, 0, or –10.

Stage three is Know Your Limitations, and is particularly devious. The target consists of four circles of descending size; 6 inch, 4 ½ inch, 3 inch, and 2 inch. Scoring is in ascending order, 10,25,60, and 140 points. Shooter will have 10 minutes for up to ten shots. The trick here is that targets can be shot down, but not up. If a shooter hits the 6 inch, then the 4 ½ inch, he cannot go back to the 6 inch. Shooting up will result in a zero for the stage, and a miss at any point in the stage will result in a zero for this stage. This is where we find out who’s greedy.

Stage four is The Shredder, 10 shots, 45 seconds, on a TQ-20 reduced silhouette target (the same one used in the Carlos Hathcock match.) Shooters can hit a 10, 9, 8, or miss.

Match restrictions are few. Allowable calibers are from .20 to 8mm, and a bipod or non-commercial front rest only may be used, and rear rests of any type are forbidden. Other than that, shooters can use whatever they wish to gain an edge; slings, shooting coats, gloves, flip-flops, lucky hats, etc. Any position will be allowed, but smart shooters will be in prone, so bring something to lie down on.

This match is not as intimidating as it may sound, so come on out and try it. The Match dates for 2011 are: May 14, July 16, September 17, and November 12. All Matches are from 8:30am-1:00pm. For more info, call Match Director Matt Popola at (973) 589-9255/6am-6pm, M-F, or (908) 810-0324 evenings, or email [email protected] (subject: Tactical Match)

Optics or iron sights?

(On a related note, I wish the CR website had a description of their different activities; often I'm interested in an event, but there isn't any information about the course of fire, what rifles, sights, etc, are allowed, etc. You can email or call the match leader, but it would be really nice if they had a link from each event to a short description. How hard would that be?)

Optics or iron sights?

Most definitely optics. At 300yds, the targets used are a blurred dot with iron sights. In my four years running this match, I've noticed something about scoped rifles. Some shooters will crank it up to 36 or 42, and nail a 3-inch circle, but on the wrong target. They can see they actual target, but not the target frame number. For this match in its present form, I'd say a decent scope in the 16-25 power range is desirable. Thanks for your interest, and I hope you can get to one of the matches.