jcerillo70

Any good Open Red-Dot Sight that dont break the bank?

I'm sorry, I tuned out the second you said "like in call of duty".

im pretty sure he used that as an example of what hes looking for, since he didnt know what the model of the site was, as he seems a new shooter or at least new to optics. no reason to 'tune out' someone new who wants to learn before he buys

• Like 3

So any specific idea's for halo-graphic's ??? I'm still lost

I also need to pick a rear iron sight to go with my a2 front...as a backup and untill i get the $$ for a good Halo

do you want a holographic site or red dot. theyre different. try out what other people have, or at least go to a store and look through whatever they might have, and see what you like. i originally wanted an eotech, until i saw one in person and saw how big they are, with such a relatively small screen and grainy dot.

where do you live. try to meet up with different people and shot their optics and see what you like best

Heard the same thing but supposedly Vortex has made some changes to the later model.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Vortex-Strikefire-t55272.html

Might still be a good alternative for the budget minded.

Hey guys,

I built my AR today and instead of just getting the folding rear sight, i wanted a open red dot. (Like in Call of Duty)

Any suggestions? I see a bunch for $500 But im not even looking to spend half of that...

Thanks guys,

Joe Cerillo

How good is good? What does it have to do? If it's just a shooter and needs to hold zero, I use the Sightmark garbage out to 150 yards for FA plinking. Holds zero forever.

http://sightmark.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=9

A few different companies make these. After about 3 months of FA abuse and being knocked around they start flickering out and die. Take them apart and tighten the screws and they seem to run for years and 10K rounds no complaints. I wouldn't take it to competition or combat.

They are not for shooting x-rings. But, for a cheap sight, very light, weathering abusive handling (but not comabt), and they do hold zero.

• Like 2

Do a google search for Primary Arms. There's also a youtube video floating around of someone doing a torture test on one. Apparently it's a good optic at a sub $100 price.

But for me, I would scour ebay for an Aimpoint MKIII red dot. It's old but works well. And it can take a beating.

How good is good? What does it have to do? If it's just a shooter and needs to hold zero, I use the Sightmark garbage out to 150 yards for FA plinking. Holds zero forever.

http://sightmark.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=9

A few different companies make these. After about 3 months of FA abuse and being knocked around they start flickering out and die. Take them apart and tighten the screws and they seem to run for years and 10K rounds no complaints. I wouldn't take it to competition or combat.

They are not for shooting x-rings. But, for a cheap sight, very light, weathering abusive handling (but not comabt), and they do hold zero.

I would like to know what I said in this post that was not accurate, including the followup post I made immediately thereafter.

Since nobody cared enough about the OP to actually warn him what information they might have dissagreed with. Maybe you can enlighten him and me now and be productive.

I would like to know what I said in this post that was not accurate, including the followup post I made immediately thereafter.

Since nobody cared enough about the OP to actually warn him what information they might have dissagreed with. Maybe you can enlighten him and me now and be productive.

I can not speak for others.. but..

I know nothing about the sight you recommended or what the big problem is.. a quick search indicates that on low power guns that take no abuse.. range queens... it is a sufficient optic for the money.. but for anything with more substantial recoil it is not worth the box it is shipped in.. they also indicate the sight is not parallax free.. which would kill it for me.. the whole point of a red dot is to be fast.. being parallax free is part of what makes it fast... if I have to compensate for line of sight with every shot it is no good to me, and maybe others felt the same?

like I said.. I can not speak for others.. but those are the issues I would personally have with the unit.. but even with that said.. in HIS budget he might not do any better than that anyway, so your recommendation might be great in that cost bracket? I have not really owned a ton of lower end optics.. so my experience is limited..

First of all, I called it garbage. Second of all, I said it will die. But that it can be revived. Then I said it was cheap and will hold zero.

I can not speak for others.. but..

I know nothing about the sight you recommended or what the big problem is.. a quick search indicates that on low power guns that take no abuse.. range queens... it is a sufficient optic for the money.. but for anything with more substantial recoil it is not worth the box it is shipped in..

Yes, it is garbage. I hope your don't mean an AR by "more substantial recoil." This thread was about ARs. I had one on an M16 firing 1000 rpm with Beta dumps and it did not die. I moved it to an M11/9 at 1300 and it died after a few thousand rounds (3 months). I had a second one on a MAX-11 at 750 rpm and it died after a few thousand rounds (3 months). I then fixed both of them and they have been running ever since.

One is parked on a MAX-11 at 750 rpm. The other is parked on an M11/9 with a special side-cocking upper and heavy barrel that runs at 2000 rpm. You don't shoot this gun, you ride it. It's far worse than a jackhammer and far worse than any firearm adopted by any military. But what a ride :)

In summary:

- It's garbage

- Not for combat or competitions

- Not for X-rings

- it's cheap, < $50

- It will die, eventually

- When you fix it, it won't die again. Takes 15 minutes.

- It holds zero.

- On an AR-15, LOL, it'll be just fine. If you absolutely must have a better red dot, there are tons of options. If it's just not good enough, but you don't absolutely need a better red dot/reflex/holographic, then consider irons or glass.

I'm not recommending this sight. It's garbage. I'm defending myself from all the Aimpoint/Trijicon/Eotech elitists. Guess what? I have all that stuff, too, and you left out C-More.

The guy was afraid to spend less than half of a $500 ticket price. When I find low-grade crap that works damn well sometimes I buy it when I don't have money. And then move it down the line to other firearms as I upgrade.

I'll be using the two I have on a subgun and a .22 M16 upper for many years to come at this point.

First of all, I called it garbage. Second of all, I said it will die. But that it can be revived. Then I said it was cheap and will hold zero.

Yes, it is garbage. I hope your don't mean an AR by "more substantial recoil." This thread was about ARs. I had one on an M16 firing 1000 rpm with Beta dumps and it did not die. I moved it to an M11/9 at 1300 and it died after a few thousand rounds (3 months). I had a second one on a MAX-11 at 750 rpm and it died after a few thousand rounds (3 months). I then fixed both of them and they have been running ever since.

One is parked on a MAX-11 at 750 rpm. The other is parked on an M11/9 with a special side-cocking upper and heavy barrel that runs at 2000 rpm. You don't shoot this gun, you ride it. It's far worse than a jackhammer and far worse than any firearm adopted by any military. But what a ride :)

In summary:

- It's garbage

- Not for combat or competitions

- Not for X-rings

- it's cheap, < $50

- It will die, eventually

- When you fix it, it won't die again. Takes 15 minutes.

- It holds zero.

- On an AR-15, LOL, it'll be just fine. If you absolutely must have a better red dot, there are tons of options. If it's just not good enough, but you don't absolutely need a better red dot/reflex/holographic, then consider irons or glass.

I'm not recommending this sight. It's garbage. I'm defending myself from all the Aimpoint/Trijicon/Eotech elitists. Guess what? I have all that stuff, too, and you left out C-More.

The guy was afraid to spend less than half of a $500 ticket price. When I find low-grade crap that works damn well sometimes I buy it when I don't have money. And then move it down the line to other firearms as I upgrade.

I'll be using the two I have on a subgun and a .22 M16 upper for many years to come at this point.

like I said.. I can not speak for others.. just making a guess..

the parallax issue would without question be the deal breaker for me.. if I was to depart from my "elitist" ways.. having to be concerned with line of sight totally defeats the point of that type of optic.. (for me at least)...

I want to QUICKLY shoulder the gun.. I then want to QUICKLY use the dot to point and click..

but like I said maybe you will get more response that will offer something I did not even think of..

like I said.. I can not speak for others.. just making a guess..

the parallax issue would without question be the deal breaker for me.. if I was to depart from my "elitist" ways.. having to be concerned with line of sight totally defeats the point of that type of optic.. (for me at least)...

I want to QUICKLY shoulder the gun.. I then want to QUICKLY use the dot to point and click..

but like I said maybe you will get more response that will offer something I did not even think of..

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to you as an accessory elitist. I was talking about the people that banged my post and then didn't bother to explain to the OP why he should consider something different.

I don't want any response, I thought some feedback would be more beneficial to the OP.

I'm with you. I like to hit stuff fast. From a low ready, I can put holes in 7 beer cans at 40 feet in under 3 seconds from the sound of a buzzer. With these sights. I'm not saying that makes the sight good, or that I can beat you in a carbine comp (I probably can't), but you gotta admit you can't do that :) Of course, I have an unfair advantage ;) They're just toys.

OK, I've hijacked yet another thread. I'll try to leave it at that unless anybody wants to discuss the merits and pitfalls of these crappy sights.

Any specific recommendations for $400 ????

Combat sights with a max of 50 yrds are fine. Thats all im looking for. Anything over than ill grap the 308.

Red dot That i can raise and shoot instantly. (idk what paradox is)

Combat sights with a max of 50 yrds are fine. Thats all im looking for. Anything over than ill grap the 308.

you should be able to find a good eotech or aimpoint used for that much..

parallax is what occurs when you look at something from different angle and the line of sight changes..

the easiest way I can explain is hold your finger up.. now move your head left and right.. point of aim changes.. high end red dots (Aimpoint for example) are parallax free.. meaning if my head is straight on.. or left.. high.. low.. right.. etc.. that red dot is in the EXACT SAME SPOT.. this is extremely useful for getting on target quickly.. there is no "lining up" put the dot on the target.. and irregardless of where your head is.. or how awful of a cheek weld you have.. the bullet is going there (providing your shooting is good and the gun is accurate, and all that..)

you should be able to find a good eotech or aimpoint used for that much..

parallax is what occurs when you look at something from different angle and the line of sight changes..

the easiest way I can explain is hold your finger up.. now move your head left and right.. point of aim changes.. high end red dots (Aimpoint for example) are parallax free.. meaning if my head is straight on.. or left.. high.. low.. right.. etc.. that red dot is in the EXACT SAME SPOT.. this is extremely useful for getting on target quickly.. there is no "lining up" put the dot on the target.. and irregardless of where your head is.. or how awful of a cheek weld you have.. the bullet is going there (providing your shooting is good and the gun is accurate, and all that..)

Would a " EoTech Model 512 Holographic Sight " fit those peramiters???

http://www.del-ton.com/EoTech_Sight_512_p/op1007.htm

"Combat" "red dot" to 50 yards I would say Eotech is king. But they gobble up batteries like crazy. You might have to change them during a range trip. 2nd place, 50 yards max, is C-more. Then comes Aimpoint, although Aimpoint is more durable and has longer battery life.

You can change the order depending on exactly what you want to do or add a couple choices if you want better accuracy. For $400, pick what you shoot best. Some of these sights retail above that but probably could be done.

If you're not going to combat, and are thinking more along the lines of HD extended a bit outside the home, I would go with irons. Possibly with tritium. You don't play with buttons and rheostats when you are suddenly awoken and people are running down a hallway at you. If your house is secure and you have dogs then a red dot still won't add any capability in my opinion.

Would a " EoTech Model 512 Holographic Sight " fit those peramiters???

http://www.del-ton.com/EoTech_Sight_512_p/op1007.htm

Eotechs are good as far as I know.. BUT I will let someone else chime in as I know there were SOME issues with some of the earlier models.. some are more desirable than others.. and I don't want to steer you wrong..

Vlad is referring to the Revision F (displayed often as Rev. F) regarding the former issues with EOTech's HWS systems. Its something to look out for if you're purchasing used, otherwise all current models (and dating back to at least 2006 I want to say off the top of my head) are fine.

My first experiences with red dot systems were with EOTech's HWS, but I'm a big fan of Aimpoints, now that I've been running one for awhile now. I do like the "dumb doughnut," but I do find myself being able to snap to targets quicker with the minimalistic Aimpoint dot.

If I did get another RDS-type, I would personally want to try out a Trijicon's Reflex system (the 1x24, 4.5MOA one).

You don't play with buttons and rheostats when you are suddenly awoken and people are running down a hallway at you.

That's the nice thing about most Aimpoints.. since the battery lasts something like 5 years in the ON position, you can just leave the sight active all the time.

• Like 1

Vlad is referring to the Revision F (displayed often as Rev. F) regarding the former issues with EOTech's HWS systems. Its something to look out for if you're purchasing used, otherwise all current models (and dating back to at least 2006 I want to say off the top of my head) are fine.

My first experiences with red dot systems were with EOTech's HWS, but I'm a big fan of Aimpoints, now that I've been running one for awhile now. I do like the "dumb doughnut," but I do find myself being able to snap to targets quicker with the minimalistic Aimpoint dot.

If I did get another RDS-type, I would personally want to try out a Trijicon's Reflex system (the 1x24, 4.5MOA one).

thanks for filling in the blanks! I could not remember the details!

That's the nice thing about most Aimpoints.. since the battery lasts something like 5 years in the ON position, you can just leave the sight active all the time.

I was about to say the exact same thing.. lol I went to the range once and forgot to put it off.. and DAYS later it was going without issue... I still have yet to change the battery.. lol

I only have the NV versions, they have no "off" positions. Never checked the battery life in the visible settings. I'm sure Murphy has. Especially when somebody turns on the lights and it's set too low. Inside my house I'm good with tritium irons. There is a weapon that's more of a toy so it has a red dot on it. When I realized I keep it around sometimes because it's handy, I put a laser on it. Not that any of that would make a difference in my case. These are not handguns.

click all the way counter clockwise is the off position. i have a NV comp M2. counter clockwise is off.

I have the same sight. And, No, it does not turn off. It turns to the lowest of 4 NV positions. I knew that before I bought it, it says that, Aimpoint will tell you that, everybody knows it, and I just checked it with Gen II (Gen III is locked up) and I see the dot, and it is working properly.

As a noob, I did a bunch of reading and people generally said buy once, cry once.

So I ordered an Aimpoint M4s. My main reason was because battery lasts something like 8 years, it has lens caps and killflash filter for hiding the reflection of the lens. Being nervous about spending so much $$$, (to justify my purchase) I went to read more reviews and it seemed there's a lot more to expensive sights than the above (speed when acquiring new targets being one of them). I also found out some 3rd party companies make lens caps for eotechs too, oh well :) ... battery life for those still wasn't even close.

For backup rear sight I ordered one of these:

MAD-2009-Coll.jpg

Also got really good reviews.

In my mind i say look at the things i can buy for $650 besides a scope

Honestly, base your sight purchase on its intended use. If all you're ever going to do is shoot a couple hundred rounds a year from a bench, then don't bother spending a lot of money on a sight. On the other hand, if this AR might be the gun you grab if you "need" it, then spending a bit extra on one of the better sights may be money well spent... if for no other reason than the peace of mind.

Also, if this is your first AR, then you may be better served in learning how to use irons sights properly and once you're comfortable with that, move onto a red dot. Who knows... you may decide that irons are perfectly fine for your needs, and you'll have saved yourself a few hundred bux that you can spend on ammo or training.