Sign in to follow this  
gunguy1960

mech tech handgun conversions and nj law

mech tech makes a conversion for pistols. It takes the slide off a glock, 1911, XD, and replaces it with a 16 inch plus barrel (NON THREADED), to this a FIXED stock is attached. My question is I think this is legal in NJ because the only offense seems to be it adds a hand holding feature over the barrel, and for a NJ semi pistol this is one strike against. Now the tricky part is that NJ law requires two strikes. The only other possible strike is one I believe doesnt apply. That is the weight, but the NJ law says MANUFACTURED weight, and these guns all have an approved manufactured weight. Yes we would be altering the weight here, but when you add lights, lasers etc you do that as well, the law is clear when it uses a specific term like MANUFACTURED. And no, Im not a manufacturer of guns. Well, anyone want to add their two cents?

mech tech makes a conversion for pistols. It takes the slide off a glock, 1911, XD, and replaces it with a 16 inch plus barrel (NON THREADED), to this a FIXED stock is attached. My question is I think this is legal in NJ because the only offense seems to be it adds a hand holding feature over the barrel, and for a NJ semi pistol this is one strike against. Now the tricky part is that NJ law requires two strikes. The only other possible strike is one I believe doesnt apply. That is the weight, but the NJ law says MANUFACTURED weight, and these guns all have an approved manufactured weight. Yes we would be altering the weight here, but when you add lights, lasers etc you do that as well, the law is clear when it uses a specific term like MANUFACTURED. And no, Im not a manufacturer of guns. Well, anyone want to add their two cents?

you are taking a pistol (gun meant to be operated in the hands not shouldered) and turning it into a rifle (a gun meant to be fired from the shoulder) many have discussed other issues with this type of conversion.. apparently there is some issue with going from a pistol to a rifle and then converting it back to a pistol that might be an issue... with the stock it is no longer a pistol so I am not sure that the weight is even an issue...

found this on the web after a minute or two of searching..

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. § 921 (a)(7), defines the term “pistol” as: A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (B) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Additionally, § 921 (a)(7) defines the term “rifle” in part as a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder....

Further, the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a), defines the term “firearm” to include: ...(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length…[and] (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length....

Research by FTB indicates that the CCU consists of one of three shoulder-stock variants and a replacement barrel of 16-1/4 inches. (Please consult our enclosure of two pages containing data and images obtained from the Mech Tech Systems, Inc., web site.) The conversion unit is designed to work with either a 1911-type pistol or a Glock-patterned pistol, converting either into a “rifle” configuration. The conversion kit itself is simply a collection of firearm parts not regulated under the GCA or NFA.

As you can see from the citations noted above, there is no definition of a “weapon made from a pistol.” Thus, converting a pistol into a rifle using the CCU would not be a violation of the GCA or NFA. However, there is a definition of a “weapon made from a rifle.” Therefore, when you convert a pistol into a rifle, it can not then be converted back. Doing so would constitute the making of an NFA-class firearm that would require prior approval by ATF and appropriate registration.

you are taking a pistol (gun meant to be operated in the hands not shouldered) and turning it into a rifle (a gun meant to be fired from the shoulder) many have discussed other issues with this type of conversion.. apparently there is some issue with going from a pistol to a rifle and then converting it back to a pistol that might be an issue... with the stock it is no longer a pistol so I am not sure that the weight is even an issue...

Mech Tech carbines are legal.. There is no issue converting a Pistol to a rifle then back to a Pistol... the problem lies when it;s done in the OTHER direction.

Pistol to Rifle = Good (As long as while it is in rifle configuration it conforms to NFA Barrel, and overall length minimums)

Rifle to Pistol = GO TO JAIL

Pistol + Stock and no Barrel change = GO TO JAIL

Mech Tech carbines are legal.. There is no issue converting a Pistol to a rifle then back to a Pistol... the problem lies when it;s done in the OTHER direction.

Pistol to Rifle = Good (As long as while it is in rifle configuration it conforms to NFA Barrel, and overall length minimums)

Rifle to Pistol = GO TO JAIL

Pistol + Stock and no Barrel change = GO TO JAIL

thank you for your answer, which leads to the question, so in regards to nj semi auto handgun laws in particular, how do you think mech tech conversions fit in?

In My Opinion, Completely legal in NJ. One Caveat, I would leave the Muzzle bare, in a pistol caliber carbine there's no need IMO for a Muzzle brake...although they do have one available that presses or clamps on, as the muzzle is not threaded.

In My Opinion, Completely legal in NJ. One Caveat, I would leave the Muzzle bare, in a pistol caliber carbine there's no need IMO for a Muzzle brake...although they do have one available that presses or clamps on, as the muzzle is not threaded.

this is something we can certainly agree on.. 40S&W out of my cx4 storm has next to no noticeable recoil or muzzle jump.. a brake is completely useless..

Make sure you put the barrel on FIRST when converting to a rifle. Then take off the stock FIRST when going back to a pistol.

I bleive with the Mech-tech units Paul, the upper is one piece with the stock attached, the frame mounds in the same way it does on a regular slide..Designed just so there ISNT that kind of issue, as there was with the

Convertible" Contenders and Buck-masters.