n4p226r

870p vs 870 police magnum

Those 870 SF are lasers on upland game. I had one in 12g and a 1100sf in 20 for quail. They are only gone because I am more comfortable with my Sweet16 and the mossberg pumps.

My 870SF 12ga. makes for a nice short brush gun for pheasant & grouse. Used to serve as my backup gun for prolonged out-of-state trips too. I still use it occasionally, but prefer my 16's & 20's for bird hunting.

If you go to Thunder Mountain without a shotgun, and ask Ruth or Bob for a "loaner" gun to shoot with, they will probably hand you an appropriate 1100, be it for skeet, trap, Thunder Clays, or on the practice/beginner field on the end. All their loaner guns are 1100's. There is nothing wrong with an 1100/1187. They just need to be routinely cleaned because they are gas operated.

And you don't need a shell catcher. You stand far enough away from anyone that empties don't take their toll and simply tell the target puller you'd like to pick up your empties at the end of the session. Most people do anyway who reload.

Remington field guns are stocked with a generic size in the hopes of "one size fits all." So, the stock profile is designed to fit a myriad of folks. Their target-grade guns (I.E. 1100 Skeet, 1100 Trap, 1187 Sporting Clays, etc.) are stocked slightly different. European guns have a better stock fit than some American shotguns. Proper stock fit distributes recoil better too, besides aligning your eye properly with the rib & bead.

Some explanations of achieving proper shotgun fit:

https://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=353780

http://www.stockfitting.com/

thanks for the info. ill try a rental next time. it'll probably be easier than the 1930s??? sears pump we were using.

The best deal going on a new 870 Police, is to call Linda at Lou's Police Distributors and tell her you heard about her and Lou's from shotgunworld forum. She's giving pricing to forum members of about $485 including shipping on the special production 870P with solid walnut stock and highly polished blue finish. She's got great pricing on the other 870P models as well. Linda is the real deal. A consumate professional and a pleasure to work with. Here's her contact info:

Linda Riccobono

Proud Marine Mom / Proud Navy Mom

Lou's Police Distributors, Inc

Serving the Law Enforcement Community Since 1954

Family Owned and Operated

7815 West 4th Avenue

Hialeah, Fl 33014

Tel: 305.416.0000

Fax: 305.824.9205

I couldn't agree more. Linda is truly a pleasure to work with. I picked up an 870P late last year for less than $500 shipped to my FFL. Looks just like the pics below (borrowed from shotgunworld.com)

P1020028.jpg

P1020024.jpg

P1020030.jpg

870P005.jpg

870P004.jpg

870P003.jpg

Horny Toad, not sure if I want a shiny and beautifully stocked pump gun for home defense but she looks NICE!!!

Understandable. Any weapon used in self defense will be confiscated and likely never returned. However, it's a great price on a beautiful gun that's built like a tank. And since the odds of ever having to use it for defense are slim to none, there isn't much harm in having a good-lookin' shotgun. :)

• Like 1