n4p226r

870p vs 870 police magnum

$$$$ The $800 asking price is too much for a NIB glossed up 870P.

The biggest difference is the 870P is parkerized and the magnum is parkerized tougher, unless they are blued with wood.

The below is copied from shotgunworld.com

Here's what Remington says about the difference between the Express and the Police guns:

REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LE DIVISION

Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns

The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market.

It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality.

All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences.

It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models.

Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.

While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.

To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

Read more: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=92058#ixzz1Ckd1vgWC

Now here is my two cents. With the exception of some small parts the difference between Express, Wingmaster & Police is only in the finish.

Why the 870P or the Mag? Get an 870 Express, polish the chamber, shoot the heck out of it. You'll save $$$$$.

Devil's advocvate time. The finish is the main difference and I agree it's a significant difference. The finish on the Express is notorious for being a rust magnet. And the chambers and internals on Express models receive a lower degree of polish. The cost of a nice polish job, on top of the cost of the Express, almost puts you to 870 Police territory. So you can go that way if you want a new 870P.

The best deal going on a new 870 Police, is to call Linda at Lou's Police Distributors and tell her you heard about her and Lou's from shotgunworld forum. She's giving pricing to forum members of about $485 including shipping on the special production 870P with solid walnut stock and highly polished blue finish. She's got great pricing on the other 870P models as well. Linda is the real deal. A consumate professional and a pleasure to work with. Here's her contact info:

Linda Riccobono

Proud Marine Mom / Proud Navy Mom

Lou's Police Distributors, Inc

Serving the Law Enforcement Community Since 1954

Family Owned and Operated

7815 West 4th Avenue

Hialeah, Fl 33014

Tel: 305.416.0000

Fax: 305.824.9205

Now, I would own a few of the plain 870Ps if I did not shoot mossbergs better because i am lefty.

Now with all this info none of really answered your question.

I really think there is no difference between the 870P and the 870P Magnum. Neither offers a 3.5" chamber. They only difference I can find lately is that you can get the 870P Magnums in blue or park, I have not seen a 870P in just blue and wood in a long time.

The magnum used to mean the larger 3" chamber back in the day when most shotguns were 2 3/4" only. Now that most modern shotguns have 3" chambers, the Magnum title gets a little confusing.

Look, no matter what shotgun you buy, the Express HD, the 870P or the 870P Magnum you will not wear it out. You will wear out before your shotgun does. That is why I have not purchased a new shotgun unless I had a serious jones (930 SPX). Used shotguns are the way to go. Find a used 870P or my suggestion is a 870 Wingmaster with a 20" barrel. Buy a 100rds of ammo, shut it all up in practice, repeat.

I like wingmasters the most, the actions are slicker, the older ones are serious quality. J&G has one for $289 right now. Buy it, put new wood stocks on it and run the snot out of it. You will love it. Wood tactical is much cooler anyway.

All, with another barrel in at least 26" config. 870 barrels are cheap to come by. The problem you will have is with the 870P and Magnum is the mag extension and how that will effect your ability to switch from a 18" barrel to a 26" barrel.

The issue you have is you want a tac gun that gun also give you hunting and trap duty. What you can do is buy a HD/Field Combo set. Then you have only 5+1 shell capacity. But do not be intimidated to try Trap with a 20" HD gun. It is more of challenge, but it is great practice. I like the expression, be scared of the man with one gun.

What you really should do is buy two guns. Get a 870P used and then go get a 870 Field for trap and hunting. That way you are using the same manuel of arms over and over and over again. They are shotguns and they multiply in your safe anyway, so get a pair so they can make more shotguns appear.

I have 5 currently. Trying hard to resist a Mossberg 590 (again) in anticipation of the Keltec KSG.

have you checked out the h&r pardner pump, supposed to be a heavy duty 870 clone, at a great savings, usually on sale at dicks, less than 200.00 i got mine for about 170.00 with discount!

i dont think its a 'heavy duty' clone, but just a clone. less fit and finish, but still functional.

as far as police vs. express, you should realize that a typical hunting shotgun probably gets used WAY more then a police gun, which will sit in a cruiser most of its life. the finish may show more wear, but i will bet an express gets way more rounds through it from an avid hunter. tens of thousands of express's have gone 30+ years of reliable hunting, without the need of being a 'police magnum.'

I agree with Axeman. Remington built the 870's reputation on the original Wingmaster. These actions and their internal finish are significantly slicker than an Express model, if those particulars appeal to you. While the Express is a cheapened version, it's still a solid gun by nature of its design. I've used an 870 Spec. Field since '84 and today it can practically cycle itself it's so smooth. I hunt with it still and shoot skeet with it on weekends during the summer at Thunder Mtn. It is truly slick.

History of the 870 and various models: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/870/?na=5

For slug gun and target shooters who demand more precision, I would recommend the 870 Competition Sear Spring replacement to lighten that horrible trigger. (It's the same factory spring found in their target guns.) It will lower the pull weight to a nice 3.5lbs. It's a two-minute job to replace the original. Of course, use discretion if you want to swap it in your self-defense shotgun. I can't find the part on Remington's site, but Midway sells it: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=815333

Thanks. Maybe I'll pick up a wingmaster. I live right by thunder mountains week ago. Was a great time. Now I just need something to shoot there. I was thinking a 870 for hd and a 11-87 for competition but I'm trying to figure out a shell catcher for doubles when shooting. Still don't understand the trap vs skeet rules though

shell catcher??? Invented and insited upon by wussies. I rarely get agitated over something, but people that get all pissy that an ejecting shell from my gun might fly and mar the finish on my $10K Perazzi are a55es.

Is it mandatory to shoot at your club?

Trap is easy, same distance different angles, skeet thrown at different and suprising angles, heights and speeds. Skeet is same paths, heights and speeds from stations. In skeet if you learn the leads, you are gold.

http://www.scskeet.com/Beginner_skeet/Beginner_Skeet.htm

I like skeet, but find trap more challenging. Especially doubles. For even more fun take up Sporting Clays. Each station is setup like a different hunting scenario, rabbits, woodie taking to wing, quail going away, etc etc. The surrounding come into play also, so your rabbit shot might have to be taken between trees. You have to decide when and where is the best place for you to shoot. Also, the gun is totally different and getting specialized. Sporting clay guns are usually o/u and long in barrel. Most have removable chokes, some guys even bring different barrels for different scenarios. EXPENSIVE! But, if you have a slick pump you can shoot well, the game can be alot of fun.

I shoot my old A5 Sweet Sixteen on sporting clay courses because I know I can hit with the gun if i do my part. If I miss, it is usually my fault, but there are times i want more choke or more barrel. I deal with it. I would not hunt teals with the gun, but it will break a clay on a teal shot.

Clay shooting is a good time and a great way to start shooting more and get other people shooting. Kids love it, that first time of magically breaking a flying clay is usually a memory that stays with most gun guys.

i dont think they are required, but i wouldnt want to be the one that everyone is looking at. seems everyone i talk to tells me to get one. but who knows. I need an NeutARed-15 first.

would i be better off with an 870 with different barrels for HD and trap or a semi for trap and 3-gun!

you are going to have to accept your going to have to get more then one shotgun. A three gun shotgun is a totally different beast. Plus, you dont want to go out hunting with your three gun semi with 9 round capacity and find out you forgot to block your mag to 2+1.

Find yourself a 870 Wingmaster, an old one with a 28" barrel w/choke tubes if possible. That will get you a good clay game gun and hunting arm, upland and wetland. Then go find a short hd barrel for the wingmaster. Keep this thought in mind, you dont need mag capacity beyond 5+1 rounds in a HD scenario. You might need it in a SHTF scenario. But even then, a semi is limited to 6+1 in NJ. so what's the diff. And if in a HD fight, you empty your shotgun and need to reload from a sidesaddle.... you need a different gun or to move far away.

Then once you get into 3-gun, find yourself a 870 with 8 rds capacity. But be honest with yourself... Are you really going to do 3gun every weekend like a golfer? If not you dont NEED 1K shotguns, satisfy your jones with a nice $300 pump and then shoot alot. That is $700 worth of ammo to play with.

well, looks like i need a pump then.

i wont hunt, since i wouldnt eat the meat, so no issues there. i bet there is a 90% chance ill take it up to the range a few times a year and thats it. if i get one 3 gun shoot every 5 years i bet that will be it. i was just looking for an excuse to get a semi and a pump. but now im reading less than favorable things on the 11-87 and 1100 reliability.

i wont hunt, since i wouldnt eat the meat, so no issues there. i bet there is a 90% chance ill take it up to the range a few times a year and thats it. if i get one 3 gun shoot every 5 years i bet that will be it. i was just looking for an excuse to get a semi and a pump. but now im reading less than favorable things on the 11-87 and 1100 reliability.

I have had nothing but good experioences with my Remington 1100. A semi-auto can be as reliable as a pump if you keep it cleaned and oiled. It's like the AR vs AK reliability. An AR works perfectly fine as long as it's maintained.

+1 lunker's comments.

My A5 and the other semi I have owned have never had an issue, except a CZ720 that needed some love to break it in.

But a pump is where to go for a sometimes shooter. Save the $ from buying a pump and buy lots of ammo.

There is a guy over on thehighroad.org, Dave McMcaken, that is the local shotgun expert, especially the 870s. I love his favorite saying, ..... buy ammo, shoot ammo, repeat. Shotguns are all about practice and fit, if the gun does not fit you, you will never shoot it accurately.

ugh... now you've done it and opened up that can of worms. Check the new thread I started on fit because others might need this info.

Thanks. Looks like you may be answering a few questions on shotguns. Hopefully not too many involve zombies.

If you go to Thunder Mountain without a shotgun, and ask Ruth or Bob for a "loaner" gun to shoot with, they will probably hand you an appropriate 1100, be it for skeet, trap, Thunder Clays, or on the practice/beginner field on the end. All their loaner guns are 1100's. There is nothing wrong with an 1100/1187. They just need to be routinely cleaned because they are gas operated.

And you don't need a shell catcher. You stand far enough away from anyone that empties don't take their toll and simply tell the target puller you'd like to pick up your empties at the end of the session. Most people do anyway who reload.

Remington field guns are stocked with a generic size in the hopes of "one size fits all." So, the stock profile is designed to fit a myriad of folks. Their target-grade guns (I.E. 1100 Skeet, 1100 Trap, 1187 Sporting Clays, etc.) are stocked slightly different. European guns have a better stock fit than some American shotguns. Proper stock fit distributes recoil better too, besides aligning your eye properly with the rib & bead.

Some explanations of achieving proper shotgun fit:

https://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=353780

http://www.stockfitting.com/

For anyone interested in shotgun sports like any of the clays games, subscribe to Shotgun Life's daily newsletter. On a daily basis you will receive to your email inbox brief but informative updates running the gamut of anything related to clay target shooting, clay target shotguns, target presentations, gun fit, action types, various shotguns, various shooting styles, etc. Here's the link: http://www.shotgunlife.com/signup.html'>http://www.shotgunlife.com/signup.html

The entire website is a good resource for anyone wanting to hone their skills and/or learn more. And there is something for everybody here.

http://www.shotgunlife.com/

Good info Parker.

By the way, everyime I see you avatar I stop short. I lost both my English Setters this past summer, one to cancer the other to a vehicle accident, and that picture makes my heart hurt, yet I smile also because they were such great animals.

Trying to find a new dog currently. Not as easy as it was when I was younger because I have pickier needs.

Good info Parker.

By the way, everyime I see you avatar I stop short. I lost both my English Setters this past summer, one to cancer the other to a vehicle accident, and that picture makes my heart hurt, yet I smile also because they were such great animals.

Trying to find a new dog currently. Not as easy as it was when I was younger because I have pickier needs.

Thanks Axeman_g. I like my Setter. Along with my Remington 870SF he makes for an effective combo on pheasants.

112008.jpg