Sign in to follow this  
Melgamatic

Saiga 7.62 magazines

I need some magazines which will a) work in my Saiga 7.62, and B) be 15 rounds or less.

Originally I was hoping for cheaper mags, then I was just hoping for Saiga brand mags, now I'm just hoping to find any magazine at (nearly) any cost that will work in my Saiga and be NJ-legal.

Anyone know where to buy?

TIA

Surefire 15 round magazines are light and durable..

plus they are 3 US made (maybe it isn't 3 but it is at least 2, but pretty sure it is 3..) parts that count towards 992 compliance

yes, I hear Surefire are good time. Can you tell me a place that actually has them in stock, because I can't find one!

he does not list them.. but I have purchased several from him.. and I am pretty sure he can still get them...

http://www.dinzagarms.com/contact/contact.html

dinzagarms is a great place, and Brian gave me a lot of advice about what parts to buy, which I did buy. But, he doesn't have these in stock.

However, armsofamerica.com has them (and lots of other ones) in stock, so I bought 2 15-round Surefire mags. Thanks.

dinzagarms is a great place, and Brian gave me a lot of advice about what parts to buy, which I did buy. But, he doesn't have these in stock.

However, armsofamerica.com has them (and lots of other ones) in stock, so I bought 2 15-round Surefire mags. Thanks.

awesome thanks for the updated source! if you can't find them there Brian would probably order them.. just a little more of a wait.. but if someone has them in stock.. that is way better anyway!

Thermold magazines work well, after you file down the tab in the rear of the magazine body to fit the saiga mag catch. They come in 10 and 30 round varieties, and are inexpensive to boot. Quality is good, but the 10 rounders do not come apart for cleaning - the floorplates are permanently riveted on so you must soak them when and if they get really dirty. These are made for an AK, but aside from some careful filing, are plug and play - no bullet guide required. TAPCO mags are also good and come in 10 round varieties, but a bullet guide is required. Thermolds are worth the $11 for decent range mags, IMO.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TTAK47107623

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/thermold-10-round-black-mag-for-ak47-50833.html

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=thermold+ak+10+rnd&cp=11&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9152945786299466596&ei=DlpYTf3iOsOBlAeI7-DxBw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQ8wIwAg#

Thermold magazines work well, after you file down the tab in the rear of the magazine body to fit the saiga mag catch. They come in 10 and 30 round varieties, and are inexpensive to boot. Quality is good, but the 10 rounders do not come apart for cleaning - the floorplates are permanently riveted on so you must soak them when and if they get really dirty. These are made for an AK, but aside from some careful filing, are plug and play - no bullet guide required. TAPCO mags are also good and come in 10 round varieties, but a bullet guide is required. Thermolds are worth the $11 for decent range mags, IMO.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TTAK47107623

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/thermold-10-round-black-mag-for-ak47-50833.html

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=thermold+ak+10+rnd&cp=11&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9152945786299466596&ei=DlpYTf3iOsOBlAeI7-DxBw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQ8wIwAg#

Can you help out a dummy? What / why /how / when is a bullet guide? Also I read that Surefire 15 mags have a last round hold open feature. How is that a feature of the mag? So what happens when it's empty, held open and you yank the mag?? Slam forward? Stay held??

Thanks,

Al

Can you help out a dummy? What / why /how / when is a bullet guide? Also I read that Surefire 15 mags have a last round hold open feature. How is that a feature of the mag? So what happens when it's empty, held open and you yank the mag?? Slam forward? Stay held??

Thanks,

Al

there is an annoying metal stop built into the top of the follower in the magazine.. after firing the last shot it stops the bolt and keeps teh action open.. cool right? NO it is incredibly annoying because when you go to change the mag there is all this extra pressure on the make and as you pull out the mag the bolt flies forward and it is just a mess... the magazine is otherwise good.. so I just ground that annoying thing off with a grinder.. lol

Thanks,

Al

a bullet guide is a small metal ramp that needs to be added on to Saigas to allow the use of standard AK magazines... the ramp is installed on the inside of the gun directly in front of the magazine..

Saiga-223-round-trun_01.jpg

a bullet guide is a small metal ramp that needs to be added on to Saigas to allow the use of standard AK magazines... the ramp is installed on the inside of the gun directly in front of the magazine..

Saiga-223-round-trun_01.jpg

Hey Vlad,

Thanks for both answers. You da Man!

Al

tapco 10 rounders work really well also, and there in stock just about everywhere. midwayusa, cheaperthandirt, ect. and the price is rite about 10 bucks at midway. plus they come in OD, FDE, and black if you care about stuff like that. :icon_mrgreen: I've heard a few negative reviews about Tapco mags, but I personally havent had any issues with them, and at $10 you can't go wrong.