Ruger11

ATTN: FFL NJGF VENDORS

Went to the Allenton,Pa gun show today,as usually everthing overpriced and N.J. non compliant.Some really cool stuff though,and did pick up a few bargains .I have a house in Pa and have noticed that lately Pa gun dealers are ''afraid'' to sell guns to anyone from NJ. Saw a

Mossberg Model 500 JIC (Just In Case) II,pistol grip only-not the one in the tube the one in the case, Item # 55340.Price was unreal,NIB.Long story short,we had about 10 different dealers in the conversation,legal in NJ, not legal in NJ,they now have ''plain clothes'' ATF guys walking around and he said if it has a pistol grip it has to be a pistol?????? WTF? Bunch of A******* at these shows lately.Anyway wouldn't/couldn't sell it to me.Basically a 18.5" barrel home defense PUMP 12 gauge with pistol grip 18.5'' barrel,and case.ARE THESE LEGAL??? I bought a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and regular stock from a vendor here before? BTW this same guy sold me an AR-15 M16 BETA C Mag 100 Round drum ( half price,couldn't resist and a 2 50 rd drum mags for my 10-22's) which are at my house in Pa. SO are these legal or what???? the Mossberg JIC II ( not the mags,which will never cross the NJ border.)

Anyone have one? This was like $370 out the door!!!!!!

That firearm is Federally classified as a "Pistol Gripped Firearm".

One is only allowed to purchase long guns from an out-of-state dealer. Anything else must be transferred through a dealer in one's state of residence.

ETA: If it came with a stock, it would be OK to purchase.

so what you're saying is- I can buy a mossberg pistol grip pump shotgun in NJ, but not from any other state unless it comes with a full stock too? (I know semi-auto w/pistol grip is not cool in NJ ) I bought a pump years ago from Dunkleburgers in Pa., came with pistol and regular stock?

so what you're saying is- I can buy a mossberg pistol grip pump shotgun in NJ, but not from any other state unless it comes with a full stock too? (I know semi-auto w/pistol grip is not cool in NJ ) I bought a pump years ago from Dunkleburgers in Pa., came with pistol and regular stock?

read the link that Paul posted.

A Pistol gripped shotgun is not considered a shotgun/long gun by ATF standards, thus cannot be transfered interstate. a shotgun that comes with a regular stock is considered a long gun, and thus can be, unless other laws prohibit it.

several years ago i bought a used moss 500A pistol grip from meltzers. no stock, just the grip. will all the cops coming in and out of there, i cant imagine theyd have anything blatantly illegal sitting on their shelf.

several years ago i bought a used moss 500A pistol grip from meltzers. no stock, just the grip. will all the cops coming in and out of there, i cant imagine theyd have anything blatantly illegal sitting on their shelf.

Don't know what's confusing you here. A pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun is not permitted in NJ. A pistol grip on a pump shotgun is perfectly legal in NJ. The ATF however classifies it as a pistol grip and therefore it cannot be purchased out of state without going to an FFL first, similar to how you would buy a handgun out of state.

I'm not confused.What was confusing was that while I was at the gun show 10 different dealers all had different opinions on the legalities of buying a pistol grip pump out of state.I know semi-auto's are a no go with pistol grip,etc. I didn't know that buying a pistol grip pump out of NJ was no go.Thanks all for the lesson,and info,now I know.

Don't know what's confusing you here. A pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun is not permitted in NJ. A pistol grip on a pump shotgun is perfectly legal in NJ. The ATF however classifies it as a pistol grip and therefore it cannot be purchased out of state without going to an FFL first, similar to how you would buy a handgun out of state.

NOTHING is confusing me. i know its legal here. what the problem is, as the OP stated, you get 10 different answers when asking 10 different people, including cops. hence you get what happened to the guy last month, arrested and detained for a perfectly legal pistol grip pump shotgun.

I'm not confused.What was confusing was that while I was at the gun show 10 different dealers all had different opinions on the legalities of buying a pistol grip pump out of state.I know semi-auto's are a no go with pistol grip,etc. I didn't know that buying a pistol grip pump out of NJ was no go.Thanks all for the lesson,and info,now I know.

From what I have heard the ATF came up this new "interpretation" of the law about two years ago. Before that a pistol grip shotgun was a long gun and could be bought by out of state residents.

If you have a house in PA you should look into seeing if you can get PA ID as a part time resident. I believe you could then buy guns there legally as a resident there. You should probably consult with a lawyer about it before you buy, but I believe it's allowed under federal law. I have not heard of anyone doing it in PA, but I have in other states. I would be interested to see if it's feasible.