Sign in to follow this  
siderman

91/30 Scope mount

Any C&R guys have experience with the Darrell mount that secures to the existing rear sight body? Looks like to me the best option without a permanent drill/tap which I really dont want to do as I want to keep the rifle original.The mount uses the existing pin to secure it and doesnt rely on a couple of wimpy set screws as its main attatchment.My eyes definatly need help so wanna go the scout route. A little pricy at $75 but if it does the job better than anything else, thats the bottem line.Any gun's NG if you cant use it well.Other suggestions are welcome.

Any scope mount that attaches to the rear sight is going to be a POS imo. You will never get a consistent zero. I know Eric had tried a few and never got any satisfying results.

Your best bet is to pick up an ex-sniper mosin, and then re-drill and tap it and put an official scope and mount on there. You will be MUCH happier in the long run.

M

and the "scout mounts" are just plain fugly! Look up a jmeck mount. They attach with a band and attach to the receiver. I have heard of some very positive results with this one and no drilling and tapping is required. Actually I have never heard of a bad review on them My link

The Darrell mount is rated highly from everything I've found on it and have yet to see any negative feedback on them.Some guy makes and markets them himself, its not some floppy rail blowin in the breeze.Thats why I was hoping someone around here familier with it. Having said that I am also familiar with the Jmecks but didnt want to do the bolt bend. However I was not aware they made a hi mount see thru to iron sights model, somehow overlooked that one and will look into that as its reversable for a scout setup. Fugly, maybe but i'm looking for practical function without any mods. I think this rifle is a lot better than me and want to give it a chance to show it.

I am always confused. Just ask the AK guys. So here is more confusion.

One variety Mosin mount goes where the removed rear sight blade was. That does not work very well.

The entire rear sight assembly is mounted on a dovetail and can be removed completely. Then you can get a scope mount for a scout scope that goes into that dovetail. This should be rock solid.