sarge

NEED HELP WITH HAND GUNS

A friend of the family just recently passed away and his wife now has a few hand guns and she just wants to sell them. I will not post an inventory as yet until I get her permission, but will after I help her do this the right and legal way.

For now, I am looking for directions and the best way to help her.

Thank you in advance.

Offer them up for sale. The buyer(s) needs a pistol permit and ID. She doesn't need an SBI number to sell the guns. One gun a month must be followed if the same person is buying more than one unless they get a waiver.

Thanks Malusa, I know about the permits, and time slots, just wondering if she has to go through an FFL with all the paper work. I am going over to her house in a couple of days and take a look and will inventory for her. Thanks again.

P.s. Will post inventory after I get her permission and possibly with good prices to sell.

Thanks Malusa, I know about the permits, and time slots, just wondering if she has to go through an FFL with all the paper work. I am going over to her house in a couple of days and take a look and will inventory for her. Thanks again.

P.s. Will post inventory after I get her permission and possibly with good prices to sell.

No, she doesn't have to go through an FFL. She can accept the paperwork and file it herself. The Permit form is 4 copies, one for the buyer, one for the seller, one goes to the state police, the other to the local police. The paperwork must be sent within 5 days of the sale.

Sarge,

The folks here are pretty knowledgeable about pricing too. The wife may just want to get rid of them because of the memories and associations with her husband, but (especially if they are old and rare) they could bring her enough money to help defray funeral costs and more. Try to let her know that firearms can be worth big bucks sometimes and that being patient with selling them could help her more than just dumping them.

When her husband was alive I suggested the local gun shops, but then the husband died and she is trusting me to help her. Thanks for all the replys, I am going to help her get the best deal for what she has. Only wait till I see and inventory what she is getting rid of. I will post as soon as I inventory.