Z71

recent oral argument vs chicago

for your listening pleasure..here's a link to the oral argument from the other day in the 7th circut concerning chicago's ban on gun ranges....its good stuff...chicago is proclaiming stray bullets will fly and gun fights will break out...

My linkclic the other link in post #4

I listened to this yesterday. It's absolutely wonderful and encouraging to hear the judges call total bs on the City of Chicago's argument. "You're missing the point, the harm is not the travel, it's the infringement on 2nd Amendment Rights" coming out of the mouth of a judge was music to my ears.

And as a side note, that female judge (not the 1st old sounding one, the 2nd younger sounding one) sounds kind of hot. In a naughty librarian sort of way.

Though the specifics and the location are different, the justices' comments give me a small bit of optimism for the NJ right to carry suit. Their statements are very clear that the "reasonable regulation" part of Heller might apply to things like zoning, safety standard for constructing the range, operating hours etc. But making it impossible to engage in a constitutionally protected activity under the cynical guise of "regulation" is clearly a prohibition and therefore unconstitutional.

I am hopeful that this same approach will be applied to the right to carry here in NJ, where despite the ridiculous state argument that the right exists but is merely "regulated," it is in fact a prohibition by another name.

Though the specifics and the location are different, the justices' comments give me a small bit of optimism for the NJ right to carry suit. Their statements are very clear that the "reasonable regulation" part of Heller might apply to things like zoning, safety standard for constructing the range, operating hours etc. But making it impossible to engage in a constitutionally protected activity under the cynical guise of "regulation" is clearly a prohibition and therefore unconstitutional.

I am hopeful that this same approach will be applied to the right to carry here in NJ, where despite the ridiculous state argument that the right exists but is merely "regulated," it is in fact a prohibition by another name.

That is the tack that SAF/ANJRPC is taking with their suit, and their choice of Plaintiffs is a pretty damned good cross section.

As for the Chicago Case, even the Semi-Anti older female justice who was TRYING to lean towards Chicago's side sounded exasperated with the City's Attorney. Gura's pointing out that his Discovery showed that NOBODY from the City's side of things from the City Managers to the Attorney himself had ever even BEEN in a range was pretty funny. Sadly it will take things like this to change the laws here in NJ. Despite what somone here has already said about taking more people to shoot, and gaining voters, we wont ever have enough to really make a legislative change..it will have to be done through the courts.

Chicago's lawyer fell flat on his face and never recovered. Sweet.

Very important precedent will be set with this case. Its the battle of the good ole' "if I can't ban the gun, I'll ban everything else you need in order to use it" loophole around 2A rights.

actually, the more important question is. how do you turn an 18 wheeler into a mobile range

Now that would be nice, 5 7 10 15 yard stops would be able to work in a 53 footer. Cost of steel for the sides floor and roof and backstop would be a tad bit high though.

Harry

Now that would be nice, 5 7 10 15 yard stops would be able to work in a 53 footer. Cost of steel for the sides floor and roof and backstop would be a tad bit high though.

Harry

They dont use steel, the use a composite

Cool, I want one. :)

Harry

I forget the name of the product, it looks almost like plywood but is a combination of Kevlar and Spectra fibers in a resin base...oh and it is EX-PEN-SIVE, IIRC over $100.00 a 4X8 sheet when they re-did our HQ to the new NIJ standard they used that stuff to build the desk area, and the cost of the Bullet-resistant boards was more than the rest of the materials combined with the labor.