Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

1911 Barrels

So I have these two spare, unfired barrels, and what I find on the internets is a little confusing.

I found this statement: Colts from somewhere in the 2 million range number range, (1945 production) will have barrels with a Gothic “C” in a square on the Left lug. A “P” mark will also usually be applied to the left lug. These barrels are fully blued with a semi-matte semi-reflective finish.

I've looked all over and these barrels only have the C on the lug and the "Colt 45 auto" at 12oclock when held with lug down. No link or pin. They also look more parkerized than blued to me but maybe that's the "matte".

As an aside, the barrels on one of my guns has the "P" marking and the Colt 45 auto at 7:30 so I think that's a 44 production. The other one has a "P" on the lug and the other marking appears abraded away but was probably at 7:30.

Here's a picture...anyone have any more insight? Possible value to a collector perhaps?

barrels.jpg

Guest schutzen-jager

i have never seen a GI issue with colt 45 auto stamped on it -

i have never seen a GI issue with colt 45 auto stamped on it -

The 1944 1911A1 has "Colt 45 Auto" just above the lug on the barrel and the frame of the gun is stamped "united states property". I know it's original.

new colt gi not original..

http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=C45202

No proof marks on that barrel at Sarco.

The barrels IN the guns are originals with the P proof mark and the Colt 45 Auto just above the lug. They are originals.

The barrels pictures are spares. The guys over at 1911forum say they are mid 50s contract GI barrels because of the C in a box stamp. They've been in a box since the 60s so I know they're from the 50s.