lunker

Saiga 12 Shotguns

Anyone been watching Sons of Guns on Discovery channel? If so, you will see that they specialize in the most fun shotgun ever created, the Saiga12.

The prices on these shotguns have been going through the roof. In the upcoming year there is a good possibility that the ATF will be stopping further importation of these shotguns because it considers them not suitable for sporting purposes. I guess they don't watch many Open Class 3 Gun matches. Anyway, these days the guns are going for $750 and up. Look at JGSales asking for $1200. I can't vouch for this dealer, but he does have 150 unconverted Saiga 12s in stock for $675 (NJ needs the unconverted version because pistol grips on autoloading shotguns turn them into "assault weapons". friggin ridiculous. :(). That is a very good price at the moment. Even if the ATF doesn't ban importation, the Saiga company now realizes that they can get a lot more money for these shotguns, so they have also raised their prices to the distibutors. The Saiga12 price will NEVER go back down to the $400-500 range it was selling at 2 years ago.

http://www.tac47indu...ck_shotgun.html

By the way, there is a possible "nuclear option" that the ATF can conceivably pull. They can declare the Saiga shotgun to be a "destructive device", in which case you will need a Federal Tax Stamp that New Jersey would never allow you to have. In essence, it will become like a SBR, SBS, or fully automatic weapon in the ATF's eyes. In other words, you will need to move to a Free state or sell the Saiga to someone living in one. So far there is no indication that the ATF will be doing this though.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like it will be a retroactive decision. If the ATF declares it a destructive device (like they did with the Street Sweeper and a few other semi-auto shotguns) they will allow people enough time to unload weapon (i.e. sell it or turn it in) or fill out the paperwork to make it legal if they live in a non-retarded state. Either way, I don't see you losing money on it.

Also, I guarantee these Saigas do not last longer than a day or two. The popularity of the TV show coupled with this ATF nonsense has people snatching them up.

The saiga 12 is no joke. In my limited arsenal it is my favorite weapon, followed closely by the saiga 308. That thing cycles quickly, reloads easily, and uses the same manual of arms as your AK rifle (if you have one).

If anyone in the South Jersey area wants to take a look at one, there was one at Ed's Gun Shop in Deptford about two weeks ago when I stopped by. I didn't ask what he was asking for it though because I didn't have a lot of time.