Sign in to follow this  
greatgunstatenj

Multiple homes and handguns

I'm looking for the opinion of some members who own two homes in NJ. Is it safe to assume the passage below would allow me to legally transport my handgun or long gun from one residence to another and keep that gun at the location for however long I choose and freely move between the two houses with the handgun/long gun? Thank you.

*all guns legally purchased, owned, and transported correctly

2C:39-6. Exemptions.

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

Often wondered about that myself. Statute doesn't provide for it explicitly, but it's implied. Perhaps. Would hate to have to rely on that if challenged.

Also, what does "premises or other land owned or possessed" mean exactly mean. What is the difference between "residence" and "premises"? What's included in premises that isn't in "place of business" or "residence"?

I'm guessing the "When moving" has you worried?

Who's to say you don't move back and forth between these places every week? I had an Apt in Monclair and a house where I live now. I lived at the house on weekends and commuted into the city during the week. I moved in both directions twice a week for almost a year until my job changed.

The other premises and land owned by you counts whether or not you're actively moving there or not.

What is the difference between "residence" and "premises"? What's included in premises that isn't in "place of business" or "residence"?

If you own or possess any property, that may not be your residence, it counts. You can own a field two towns over. No house on it. You're covered.

As a lawyer, I never like to give definitive answers :icon_rolleyes: , but IMHO, I don't think you would have any problem keeping the gun at either home or transporting it between the two, as long as it's transported in the manner described in the statute.

I'm guessing the "When moving" has you worried?

That and the fact that I've seen posts regarding people moving and having problems with the address on their FID. The situation being what it is in NJ I'd rather not take chances with poorly defined statutes.