s8n

Walgreen's pharmacy disgrace

I am aware of NO corporate retail entity that does not have a very clear prohibition against its employees possessing/carrying weapons or firearms while working. This is for one reason and ONE reason only. Liability. Companies, can and HAVE been sued in the past where an employee attempted to thwart a Robery or other problem, and someone (Even the "Bad Guy") got Hurt, and in turn, sued the living Bejesus out of the Corporation. I'll bet you a dollar that Walgreens does, in fact have such a policy, AND that the employee is FOS when he says he doesnt know of that policy.

• Like 3

I guess Walgreens doesn't do a very good job of letting there employees know the policies.

I worked for Walgreens briefly a couple of years ago for a full time summer job. While the job sucked and the manager was terribly annoying, I have to say that Walgreens is VERY thorough on informing its employees about the company policies, regulations, rules, etc. The first few days of training are solely dedicated to reading, learning, and being quizzed on company policies. The one that stands out to me in light of this discussion is of course that of what to do in the situation of a robbery.

The policy of Walgreens is to without question hand over the cash drawer along with any other valuables that the robber may demand. You are NOT under any circumstances allowed to have any weapons, or to try and save the money/valuables. For the safety of yourself and other customers (and I'm sure for insurance purposes as well), you are taught to avoid eye contact and hand over the money, not try and fight the criminal. This procedure was stressed greatly in training, because Walgreens tend to be targets for criminals because of the money/ciggs/pharmaceutical drugs combo. While working there, anytime a Walgreens in the area was robbed at gunpoint, a notice went out to all of the other Walgreens in the area informing them of what happened. I always read the notices-the cashier handed over the money, and the criminal left without gunfire. Walgreens is very clear in telling employees that they are doing the right thing when they hand over the cash, and that a few hundred dollars lost is better than a dead employee/customer. The employee would suffer no risk of being fired for following this procedure.

This is not to say that it's the right procedure, or that I agree with it, et cetera. But it is Walgreens policy and it is taught to us very thoroughly.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I'm not sure if the weapons policy varies by state, but NJ Walgreens policy is pretty obvious. Regardless, he broke company policy and put others in danger. I think his being fired is justified.

What always bothers me is the wording in the policies. My companies policy specifically states that employees can't be in possession of a "weapon". Well tell me.....who gets to decide what a weapon is? At my last job, loss prevention forcefully took my pocket knife off of me without my permission, stating that it was a "weapon" and I was not allowed to have it (it was a simple folder, straight edge, 2" blade). This was at Lowe's, where we sold pocket knives bigger than mine with serrated blades, double head axe's, machete's, and chain saw's....yet my folder was called a "weapon".

A weapon is defined as:

any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war.

I assure you, I did not intend to use my folder for combat, fighting, war, or any kind of activity that involves harming another person.

The point of this post is that the word "weapon" is extremely vague (I'm sure we're all used to this) as there is no true definition. A pen in the hands of someone who wishes to do harm is more of a weapon than someone with NO malicious intent with a pocket knife.

VJF thats retarded.... i cant believe they would take a pocket knife from a Lowe's employee, a job that actually may require you to possible use it. I agree with the vagueness of the terms, but again they do it so there is no room for argument, and what they say goes... I would laugh if my boss told me i couldn't carry my knife on me at work, i use it at least once an hour to open something for customers. Not even sure how i would go about a situation like that, how do u work at a hardware store with out a knife on you? what do u use to open things? your teeth? oh wait teeth can be a deadly weapon...lolz

VJF thats retarded.... i cant believe they would take a pocket knife from a Lowe's employee, a job that actually may require you to possible use it. I agree with the vagueness of the terms, but again they do it so there is no room for argument, and what they say goes... I would laugh if my boss told me i couldn't carry my knife on me at work, i use it at least once an hour to open something for customers. Not even sure how i would go about a situation like that, how do u work at a hardware store with out a knife on you? what do u use to open things? your teeth? oh wait teeth can be a deadly weapon...lolz

When I worked for Home Depot we were issued box cutters that only stuck a blunt-end razor out of the knife body about 1/2", and was spring-loaded so you had to keep constant pressure against the button to keep it open.

When I worked for Home Depot we were issued box cutters that only stuck a blunt-end razor out of the knife body about 1/2", and was spring-loaded so you had to keep constant pressure against the button to keep it open.

wow, that's pretty interesting... at least they gave you something to kinda work with, still stupid.

This is exactly what they gave me at Lowe's as well. Regardless, I always carry my knife on me. That doesn't mean that I intend to use it as a "weapon".