Sign in to follow this  
Scrap

Wooden thumbhole stocked Veprs?

Hey what can be told about these Russian Veprs, with wooden thumbhole stock and wooden fore-end?

http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-VEPR.aspx

I saw it and immediately said I WANT ONE, HAVE TO HAVE ONE - I bought a Zastava for my Dad as a 60th, thought I could get the wooden furniture and I could not, and I was pissed... This Vepr looks like that wooden furniture only nicer and the AK part is supposed to be awesome if not the best, I immediately wanted one but damn- $850, wow that's a lot . A real lot . Add in like what $150 for an Ultimak and $500 for a sight (say a Trijicon Reflex or an Aimpoint) and it's just so much...

So are they worth it? And also are there Saiga's looking like these that I'm missing?

thanks

vepr is great gun.. but so is Saiga.. I love all of my Saigas.. they are all great shooters.. have one in wood.. and some in more modern synthetics.. you can just do whatever you want with those things (within the boundaries of the law of course.. )

These are the new vepr imports. I dont like them. The fit and finish has gone down from the original imports from 10 years ago.

I have one of the original ones that I paid $1,000 for and I love it.

Vepr's are built on the heavy RPK receiver, so while the receiver is stronger, it is heavier.

• Like 1

I noticed it said it was built on the RPK receiver and also was heavier, I assumed it was a good thing, I figured it wouldn't necessarily be something i had to carry all the time... Also the Ad says " WILL NOT ACCEPT STANDARD AK OR SAIGA MAGS" so therefore- it only accepts propriety "Vepr" mags?

And I am really liking it, if I ever sell some stuff I might do it.. Now are Saigas available with the wood stocks already done? I am not much for converting them, i don't know if I cou;d handle that.

I noticed it said it was built on the RPK receiver and also was heavier, I assumed it was a good thing, I figured it wouldn't necessarily be something i had to carry all the time... Also the Ad says " WILL NOT ACCEPT STANDARD AK OR SAIGA MAGS" so therefore- it only accepts propriety "Vepr" mags?

And I am really liking it, if I ever sell some stuff I might do it.. Now are Saigas available with the wood stocks already done? I am not much for converting them, i don't know if I cou;d handle that.

I was unaware of what Maks just pointed out.. with his input in mind.. get a Saiga and be done with it... it is a good solid russian gun.. chrome lined barrel.. and plenty accurate enough for that round... any more than that and you are IMO over thinking it..

The new ones do not take standard ak mags. The old ones do. I was not 100% on that fact until you pointed it out.

The wood on the new one is nice... but just feels a bit off.

The older VEPR's, you can tell by import mark, Robinson Arms, and the date on the receiver, (between 1998 and 2001).

223 and 5.45 versions take AK 74 mags, the 7.62x39 takes standard double stack AK mags.

I really think for the money, the Arsenal Saiga is $800 for the new NJ Legal version. The Vepr wood is like $850. I really am thinking I might like the Vepr and the wood better. Which is odd, I usually like black and more tactical style, but that Vepr seems to be both plenty tactical, and classy bad-a**. If anyone wants my bar equipment, those power tools, all together, even throw in the fridge, I would trade it for one of these brand new woohoo