Pew Pew Plates

Can a CA resident purchase a longarm in NJ?

My girlfriends friend is a resident of CA but pretty much lives here in NJ. She has to retain her CA residency for school purposes but wants to buy a shotgun in NJ. Can she get an FID and purchase like normal even though she is not a NJ resident? She doesnt want to go back to CA just to buy a shotgun and have to bring it back.

She would need to check CA law, I though CA had a law that prohibits their residents from purchasing firearms out of state, but I'm not certain on this. If it's allowed on their end then she would apply for an FID with the NJSP, they handle all out of state FID apps.

Out of state residents can get a NJFID but cannot purchase a firearm of any type in NJ (see bottom of COE).

Really? So the only purpose for one who be so you could buy pistol ammo? I didn't know that. What a joke.

Out of state residents can get a NJFID but cannot purchase a firearm of any type in NJ (see bottom of COE).

Yes they can. The form clarifies that the long gun acquisition must be made through a Dealer as per Federal Law.