Sign in to follow this  
atilli

NJ FID for out of state resident?

As I mentioned in another post, I am a Florida resident but I still have a home in NJ. I have an FID with an out dated address which I wanted to update. However, will NJ issue me a new FID to update my NJ address if I have a Florida drivers licence? Also, will they issue a purchaser permit based on the same information?

Ths,

Tony

As I mentioned in another post, I am a Florida resident but I still have a home in NJ. I have an FID with an out dated address which I wanted to update. However, will NJ issue me a new FID to update my NJ address if I have a Florida drivers licence? Also, will they issue a purchaser permit based on the same information?

Ths,

Tony

Good question. Unless you have some photo ID for your NJ residence, I don't think they'll issue a NJ Purchaser card to that Address but that's just a guess.

My Dad is a Florida res...FL Drivers License, ect.

Has a home here in NJ like you.

He has a FID card with his Florida address on it.

He had to go to the state police to have the application done.

Three months later FID card in hand.

Wow, interesting. Did he have a FID in NJ before he took up residence in FL? Has he tried to get a purchase permit?

Thanks,

Tony

Anyone who is qualified can get an NJ FID card and use it to buy long guns in NJ regardless of what state they live in (as long as the state they live in does not prohibit out of state purchases, such as CA).

If your father is claiming dual residency he will need, as Malsua said, a NJ gov photo ID. This would entitle him to buy handguns in both NJ and FL, but why would he bother if he can buy them down there without all the hassle?

My father is a florida resident that happens to have a house here in NJ.

He has no NJ id of any kind.

He only applied for the FID to cover his butt when bringing NJ legal firearms to this state.

No need to purchase anything here. :)

As the post above says "Anyone who is qualified can get an NJ FID card and use it to buy long guns in NJ regardless of what state they live in"

Just call the state police and ask for info.

I did all the leg work for my Dad and the State Police were actually very nice on the phone and at the station.

Funny note......when he went to the station to pick up the card an officer (not a detective) was clueless how he could get a FID not being from NJ. :blink:

My father is a florida resident that happens to have a house here in NJ.

He has no NJ id of any kind.

He only applied for the FID to cover his butt when bringing NJ legal firearms to this state.

No need to purchase anything here. :)

As the post above says "Anyone who is qualified can get an NJ FID card and use it to buy long guns in NJ regardless of what state they live in"

Just call the state police and ask for info.

I did all the leg work for my Dad and the State Police were actually very nice on the phone and at the station.

Funny note......when he went to the station to pick up the card an officer (not a detective) was clueless how he could get a FID not being from NJ. :blink:

I'm looking to cover my butt also as I am still not sure about bringing my handguns from FL to NJ and going to a range in NJ. I just need to get my address updated on my current FID, however, it sounds like that process will be starting over again.

Thanks,

Tony

I am still not sure about bringing my handguns from FL to NJ and going to a range in NJ.

A residence in NJ to a Range in NJ is completely legal. As legal as it gets. You're not any more or any less legal than anyone one here taking a handgun to a range, with the exception of the couple of LEOs that post here who can legally carry a handgun. A firearms purchaser ID for long arms does not confer any legality to hand guns. The only thing it will show is that you have had and passed a background check and have a State Bureau of Investigation number. If you are not within the stated exemptions as to where you can legally have a handgun, the Long Gun Purchaser ID won't help you.

This is not to say I discourage anyone to get it. I think you should.

A residence in NJ to a Range in NJ is completely legal. As legal as it gets. You're not any more or any less legal than anyone one here taking a handgun to a range, with the exception of the couple of LEOs that post here who can legally carry a handgun. A firearms purchaser ID for long arms does not confer any legality to hand guns. The only thing it will show is that you have had and passed a background check and have a State Bureau of Investigation number. If you are not within the stated exemptions as to where you can legally have a handgun, the Long Gun Purchaser ID won't help you.

This is not to say I discourage anyone to get it. I think you should.

He'll need the FPID to purchase ammo as well, correct?

He'll need the FPID to purchase ammo as well, correct?

For handgun ammunition or ammo commonly used in a handgun (to include the brutal .22LR) yes, that is correct. For rifle ammo, not required.