Sign in to follow this  
Bello

pheasant hunting

is there a limit in new jersey when hunting with a shotgun? i thought i read it somewhere but i dont recall where to find it thanks for any input

A limit on # of pheasants or number of shells? (You are also limited to certain shot sizes as well.) These three links may help:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/smgame_summary10-11.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/dighnt56-68.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pheasart.htm

ya i found it last night my benelli comes with a plug for 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber thanks guys for replys. i think the load number is #6 or 7

ya i found it last night my benelli comes with a plug for 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber thanks guys for replys. i think the load number is #6 or 7

7.5's are okay provided your shots are close and extend to 30-35 yds. Some folks like 6's, some like 5's better. (Out West the preferred load for long shots on wild birds is #4's.) A lot depends on whether you are hunting by yourself or with a dog and what style of dog. For example, a pointing dog that holds point may offer you shots that are close and you can down open-field pheasants with #8's and an open-choked skeet gun. But that's not the optimum load or setup. A flushing dog like a Lab or Springer would typically offer shot presentations a little farther out, but not always. If you are just out beating the brush by yourself or with a friend you will get opportunities at both long and short distances, so best to have a load and choke that will cover all bases. You can't go wrong with #6's. They offer enough penetration at distance and enough shot in 12 ga. loadings to ensure pattern density even at distance. Best all-around 12 ga. loading is 1 1/4 oz. of hard #6's mated with an IC choke. Switch to a MOD choke late season as temps get colder and covers get sparse. It is not uncommon for folks who hunt with pumps or semi-auto's to have a #7.5 in the chamber, followed by a #6 and #5 in the magazine.

7.5's are okay provided your shots are close and extend to 30-35 yds. Some folks like 6's, some like 5's better. (Out West the preferred load for long shots on wild birds is #4's.) A lot depends on whether you are hunting by yourself or with a dog and what style of dog. For example, a pointing dog that holds point may offer you shots that are close and you can down open-field pheasants with #8's and an open-choked skeet gun. But that's not the optimum load or setup. A flushing dog like a Lab or Springer would typically offer shot presentations a little farther out, but not always. If you are just out beating the brush by yourself or with a friend you will get opportunities at both long and short distances, so best to have a load and choke that will cover all bases. You can't go wrong with #6's. They offer enough penetration at distance and enough shot in 12 ga. loadings to ensure pattern density even at distance. Best all-around 12 ga. loading is 1 1/4 oz. of hard #6's mated with an IC choke. Switch to a MOD choke late season as temps get colder and covers get sparse. It is not uncommon for folks who hunt with pumps or semi-auto's to have a #7.5 in the chamber, followed by a #6 and #5 in the magazine.

You are so on the money. When I hunted w/ a double 12ga #7 1/2 IC in barrel one and #6 Mod for barrel two. Later I hunted w/ a 20ga auto. #5 or 6 Full choke.

a double 12ga #7 1/2 IC in barrel one and #6 Mod for barrel two.

As I get older, I use the 12's less and less frequently. I like carrying and shooting the 20's & 16's. I lean most to my 20's, then the 16 gauge late-season. A couple of 12's will get out for a nostalgic romp now and then. A double with its combination of choke offerings loaded with different shot sizes in each barrel makes for an effective tool.