Sign in to follow this  
82ndAbnRVN

Scope Mount Recommendations?

Looking for advice on mounting a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 (1" tube) on a flat-top AR10. Need to clear the rear Troy BUIS (folded height 0.460"). Trying to keep the weight down so rings are preferred over a 1-piece mount, but advice is always appreciated. I think I want an extra-high solution (~1.4").

Scope: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-2-7x32-riflescope-versa-plex-c3-reticle (MSRP $359, discontinued model - on sale at SWFA for $150)

Troy: http://troyind.com/%20/battlesights/troy-battlesight-rear-folding

Thanks!

IMO, you must go with the extra high rings to attain a normal cheek weld. BUT, good luck on clearing any type of folding rear sight. I do not think you can.

ETA: Looking at the pictures of the sight, it appears that you can clear it.

Nice set-up . . . is that a LaRue mount and a JP/Bennie Cooley compensator?

We need a photo area on the forum.

not sure of actual physical size of your optic and how it will fit in this mount.. but this is what I run.. and I purchased it with the intention of clearing rear BUIS..

dpms308finalvlad.JPG

you hit it on the head that is exactly what it is..

I had Armalite tune the upper (switched from a 20" to a 16" lightweight/infantry barrel), update the bolt, and put on the Bennie. Planning to go to Range 14 tomorrow and fire it for the 1st time - hoping for nice recoil reduction. Other mods include EFX stock, Slash's heavy tungsten buffer, Troy folding battlesights, and JP fire control group. Didn't care for the JP tensioning pin. As soon as I get the Magpul MOE handguards and Brownells triggerguard on my work will be complete (I hope). This is going to be my only all purpose/working/SHTF long gun. Will post a pic when it's complete.

I can't promise any weight savings, but I, too, put together this set-up with the intention of clearing a Troy BUIS. I started with a LaRue 5/8" riser (.625") which means the top of the riser is .165" above the folded sight. Then I just needed rings with a height dimension (top of riser to center of ring) that was equal to, or slightly greater than, the radius of the ocular bell of the scope. Probably actually heavier than a one-piece set-up (but that can be mitigated somewhat by the use of aluminum rings), but it gave me greater flexibility in dimensioning the best ring height.

xparea.jpg

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I had Armalite tune the upper (switched from a 20" to a 16" lightweight/infantry barrel), update the bolt, and put on the Bennie. Planning to go to Range 14 tomorrow and fire it for the 1st time - hoping for nice recoil reduction. Other mods include EFX stock, Slash's heavy tungsten buffer, Troy folding battlesights, and JP fire control group. Didn't care for the JP tensioning pin. As soon as I get the Magpul MOE handguards and Brownells triggerguard on my work will be complete (I hope). This is going to be my only all purpose/working/SHTF long gun. Will post a pic when it's complete.

my 308 is very manageable to shoot.. only thing with that comp.. make sure people are behind you.. and not next to you.. LOL it can be REALLY loud/scary... when I shoot that gun at the local county range they like to put me on the very ends of the line as to not scare the hell out of the people next to me..

Do you intend on running a QD mount?

Good question - but, no. My use of the scope would be to zero and then for a hog hunt (if I can get some forum members interested). Other than that, it's going to be iron sights . . . unless Zombies invade. Can't let them get too close.

If your not going to run QD then there is little reason to have the BUIS on there as you would need to break out the tools to pull off the scope to use the buis. I would pull off the buis and get a mount that was best for my natural point of aim. There are A LOT more options for non QD then there are QD. I run QD with BUIS so that if my optic goes TU, I can yank it and go irons quickly. When I had a dedicated scoped Semi, I had no irons on it at all.

• Like 1

If your not going to run QD then there is little reason to have the BUIS on there as you would need to break out the tools to pull off the scope to use the buis. I would pull off the buis and get a mount that was best for my natural point of aim. There are A LOT more options for non QD then there are QD. I run QD with BUIS so that if my optic goes TU, I can yank it and go irons quickly. When I had a dedicated scoped Semi, I had no irons on it at all.

Not sure I understand why I wouldn't want the BUIS on - as I stated, I intend to shoot iron sights better than 99% of the time - they're old school and just way much more fun (for me). Once they're zeroed I intend to Loctite them in place. On the rare occasion that I'm going to use a scope I can always re-zero the scope as needed - that's fun, too. As far as tools go, I don't see that as an issue.

I agree with the "natural point of aim" comment. That's why I just ordered the Burris P.E.P.R (http://www.burristactical.com/arpepr.html) from SWFA. Meets all my criteria and was recommended by a forum member - user reviews back it up.

Not sure I understand why I wouldn't want the BUIS on

here is the answer..

I intend to shoot iron sights better than 99% of the time -

BUIS and quick detach scope mounts and all that are an expensive compromise for shooters who shoot optics often but if need presents itself.. can quickly change to irons... the setup I run will eventually have a rear BUIS as well.. but the reasoning being I will be shooting magnified optic most of the time.. but if I have a need to engage a target closer than is reasonable.. or want to "run and gun" with it.. I can QUICKLY remove the scope flip up the rear iron and shoot.. no tools needed.. if you intend to shoot irons %99.9999999999999 of the time.. then just get a scope and ring combo that is ideal for you (as stated) zero the rifle with the optic.. note where the mount is.. and then remove and put away in a box.. if you remount it on the gun.. and the rings are decent quality.. it SHOULD be pretty much zeroed for you.. as in will hold zero.. then just pick up a fixed rear iron sight.. mount that.. since you will be shooting irons %99.9999999999999 of the time.. BUIS are completely useless to you..