Matt

Moving to a new city

Hey guys,

I know this is as basic a question as it gets but I just want to make sure I do everything right... I will be moving to a new city (in NJ) that is VERY anti gun and want to make sure I do everything by the book. This will be the first time since I have owned guns that I will be moving so I've never had to go through the process.. I'm assuming I move to the new location then go to the new local PD and apply for an FID change of address? How much time do I have? What if they don't get me a new one by the cutoff? Do i just have to APPLY by that date? anything else I need to be doing? Thanks for any advice.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11 Duplicate firearms purchaser identification card

(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost,

stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such

loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.

The STS-3 and SP66 can be obtained on-line at the NJSP site. You should be able to get by with a non-criminal Background Check (form SBI 212A - obtainable only from your local PD), but if the chief of your new municipality wants to be a d#*k about it, they may require new fingerprints.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

but if the chief of your new municipality wants to be a d#*k about it, they may require new fingerprints.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Most are.. IMHO..

seems like whenever you move you got AT LEAST another round of waiting and ALL THE FEES again.. even though 1/2 of that is just BS.. gotta pay to play..

ughh..

Just to clarify here, you do not need a FPID to OWN a gun. It's a firearm PURCHASER id card not an owner ID card. So as long as you transport properly there is nothing you are doing illegal by not having a FPID. You would not be able to buy a new gun, nor buy ammunition.

I don't get it.. is it easier to get a replacement than a change of address?

No, but that way you get to keep your old one in the interim. Some PD's will confiscate your old card when you apply for a new one, leaving you with no means to purchase arms or ammunition.