Iamdead

Need some schooling

See thats how green i am. Pistol 9mm and 40 cal.

Thanks

Mike

And the next question...what gun? Some guns aren't very tolerant of steel ammo while others don't seem to care. Wolf ammo is Steel, Blazer(not to be confused with Blazer Brass) is Aluminum and there are other Steel and Aluminum ammos out there as well.

Your best best is to stick to brass cased ammo such as Winchester in the white box(WWB), CCI Lawman, Blazer Brass, Sellior and Bellot brass, etc.

You will often find the best deals online at places such as Sportsman Guide, Cabelas, Natchez Shooter Supply, Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, etc.

Watch for shipping specials because ammo is heavy.

As a note, if you're close to the state line, Walmart in PA and NY often have good deals on ammo. In NY, you'll need your NJ firearms Purchaser ID to buy it.

And the next question...what gun? Some guns aren't very tolerant of steel ammo while others don't seem to care. Wolf ammo is Steel, Blazer(not to be confused with Blazer Brass) is Aluminum and there are other Steel and Aluminum ammos out there as well.

Your best best is to stick to brass cased ammo such as Winchester in the white box(WWB), CCI Lawman, Blazer Brass, Sellior and Bellot brass, etc.

You will often find the best deals online at places such as Sportsman Guide, Cabelas, Natchez Shooter Supply, Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, etc.

Watch for shipping specials because ammo is heavy.

As a note, if you're close to the state line, Walmart in PA and NY often have good deals on ammo. In NY, you'll need your NJ firearms Purchaser ID to buy it.

here lies the other problem i don't have a license yet. That being said im looking into s&w m&p not sure if im going for 9mm or 40 cal but still have to shoot them to see if i like it.

The search function on the board is going to be your best friend. There's plenty of talk about different subjects regarding firearms on this board. Your best bet when choosing a handgun is to go to a shooting range that rents guns and shoot it and see what you like. Shore Shot rents. I don't know who else does. Search Shore Shot pistol range and it will give you directions, etc.

The search function on the board is going to be your best friend. There's plenty of talk about different subjects regarding firearms on this board. Your best bet when choosing a handgun is to go to a shooting range that rents guns and shoot it and see what you like. Shore Shot rents. I don't know who else does. Search Shore Shot pistol range and it will give you directions, etc.

Im proberly going to heading over there tomorrow. I was just just looking for some basic info on ammo its just a bit confusing now. I dont know if its a loaded question or not cause there might be no such thing as basic info on ammo.

P.S

Id also likt to say thanks for taking your guys time for helping out a novice with stupid questions.

Mike

Im proberly going to heading over there tomorrow. I was just just looking for some basic info on ammo its just a bit confusing now. I dont know if its a loaded question or not cause there might be no such thing as basic info on ammo.

P.S

Id also likt to say thanks for taking your guys time for helping out a novice with stupid questions.

Mike

Mostly the ammo you use will depend on what you use it for.

Almost any ammo that you buy at a store will work in a quality gun.

For range use Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) is the way to go as it is relatively cheap and readily available.

Hollow points and all the variants on them are better suited for Home Defense and tend to be much more expensive.

Read some reviews on prospective HP ammo. Buy a box and try it out at the range IN YOUR GUN to make sure it feeds and fires

reliably.

here lies the other problem i don't have a license yet. That being said im looking into s&w m&p not sure if im going for 9mm or 40 cal but still have to shoot them to see if i like it.

Just a distinction: You'll apply for a Firearms Purchaser ID card which lets you buy long guns and ammo, and pistol ammo in NJ, not a license.

You will need the FPID and a Pistol Purchase Permit for each handgun you intend to buy.

You can rent a handgun and purchase ammo (for use at the range) at Shore Shot with no FPID card.

Mike,

I would if I was you lean towards a 9mm, not because they are better but because they are one of the cheaper rounds to shoot.

Most of the 9mm I have on hand has an average cost of about 20-21 cents a round, my average for my 40S&W is just about 31-33 cents a round. Now the good thing, is you can start with one and then get another and have both down the road.

Also if you have a 9mm and 40S&W gun of the same size and weight you will notice the 9mm is a lot easier to shoot, 40's are a snappier round, not that it is a problem at all, but learning and practicing you may feel more comfortable shooting a more manageable caliber, plus a more controllable gun will allow you to focus more on fundamentals and learn quicker.

Just some thoughts from a relatively new shooter also.

Harry

Mike,

I would if I was you lean towards a 9mm, not because they are better but because they are one of the cheaper rounds to shoot.

Most of the 9mm I have on hand has an average cost of about 20-21 cents a round, my average for my 40S&W is just about 31-33 cents a round. Now the good thing, is you can start with one and then get another and have both down the road.

Also if you have a 9mm and 40S&W gun of the same size and weight you will notice the 9mm is a lot easier to shoot, 40's are a snappier round, not that it is a problem at all, but learning and practicing you may feel more comfortable shooting a more manageable caliber, plus a more controllable gun will allow you to focus more on fundamentals and learn quicker.

Just some thoughts from a relatively new shooter also.

Harry

I agree 100%. a .40 and 9mm are pretty similar i would go with the one with less kick and least expensive. If you want something more powerful then there are much better options.