Underdog

Ruger SP-101 22LR

The magazine article about this gun (and I forget which gun rag it was in, but it was one of the majors) was pre-mature. The article was not supposed to be released at that time. Don't know whether that was the mags fault or Ruger's marketing dept. Release is supposed to be this fall - so the time should be fast approaching.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ruger released the SP101 in .22LR, today! It is a stainless model with a 4.20" barrel, an 8-shot capacity, and rubber grips with wood inserts. It is 30 ounces and has a fiber optic front sight and an adjustable rear sight. It lists for $675, and I have one on order for $525. I can't wait! I hope that it has a nice trigger. The catalog # is KSP-242-8 and the model number is 5765. Click on the image to see an enlarged one.

• Like 1

Mine is suppose to come in today. However, OGAM is messing with me and I will have to be patient for my birthday present.

That sounds like a nice gun and might have a nicer trigger. It might be interesting to have a comparison between the two. I would have guessed that the Ruger would be a more rugged revolver, but the Smith appears to be heavier and that is with a "lighter" cylinder due to two extra holes.

All things considered, I would probably prefer the choice that I have made. It is about $150 cheaper out the door and has adjustable sights, and it weighs less.

I wonder which one of the two has a better sight picture, though, and which one is more accurate. If anybody has a 617 with a 4" barrel and wants to compare them at the range, let me know.

I imagine the S&W sights aren't as changeable or adjustable, though, as the Ruger.

Usually it's the Rugers that have the more rudimentry sights. All S&W revolver adjustable sights are essentially identical (with a few exceptions on some special model guns). For a long time they were the standard of the industry. When Armand Swenson was looking for something to replace the vestigal sights on an issue 1911, he was among the first (if not the first) to graft a set of S&W sights onto the slide of his .45. The 617, of which he is speaking, has great sights and I generally prefer them to those found on Rugers.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I am actually looking forward to the fiber optic sight on the Ruger, though, as I am fighting the need to get optical devices for my eyes. I wonder how much difference there is in the triggers. Ruger would have had to have outdone itself to come close to the Smith. Although Smith quality seems to be a little less these days. But, for the $150 difference I can get a lot of 22LR to have fun with.