Bob D

Is Auto Ordinance 1927 A1 Thompson Legal in NJ?

I was looking at maybe purchasing a used 1927A1 Thompson semi auto. (Auto Ordinance Vintage 1979)

Would anyone know if this is legal to own in New Jersey?

Also, it looks like I cannot legally own any magazines for it as they only make 20s and up.

Thanks,

Bob

I have one ,, The 10 rnd drum is a POS,, my 1st one fell apart after its 1st 8 rounds .

See if you can get some 20 rounders blocked and welded .

Just a note on the military mags , you will need to modify them to fit in a semi gun .

There is a cool factor with this gun ! Out of all my guns people want to take pictures with a Tommy Gun

<br />I have one ,, The 10 rnd drum is a POS,, my 1st one fell apart after its 1st 8 rounds .<br />See if you can get some 20 rounders  blocked and welded .<br />Just a note on the military mags , you will need to modify them to fit in a semi gun .<br /><br /><br />There is a cool factor with this gun ! Out of all my guns people want to take pictures with a Tommy Gun<br />
<br /><br /><br />

So I guess it is Jersey Legal?

All semi auto versions of Tommy guns are legal in NJ, old or new, as long as they aren't SBRs. As Ted said, it's the mags you need to be careful with.

Is the seller by any chance from PA?

Not sure where to purchase - still thinking about it.

What are SBRs?

Not sure where to purchase - still thinking about it.

What are SBRs?

I only asked about the seller being from PA because I had a guy from there with a (1979 vintage) 1927 A1 that was going to sell it to me but backed out because he thought they were illegal here. I explained it needed to go through an FFL anyway, and that would absolve him of any risk, but he still wouldn't do it.

I saw this a couple months back and thought about converting my 10/22

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

This basically turns a $200 Ruger 10/22 into a look-alike Thompson. Might not be a bad stopgap until the gun you want comes along.