pepsi71ocean

Pennco Tech, NJ

Hey guys i have been thinking of perusing a education of sorts.

I have worked on diesel engines (i wrench on my own diesel for fun), and now the company i work for they are having trouble finding certified diesel mechanics, i can only think that this is common, but i decided since i do like working on engines that i might make a living from it.

The one mechanic mention Pennco tech, but im looking for other reviews from people who might be in this field or know if this school is any good.

First you have to ask yourself if this is really something you like doing and would want to do it as your every day job. While I like working on things as a hobby, myself I enjoy working on my vehicles and especially my HD's and have been riding and building them for over 28 going on 29 years. while enjoy working on my own stuff I know if I made it my 9-5 M-F gig I would probably get tired of it real quick.

Remember there is a fine line between something being an enjoyable hobby and being a job.

Harry

As a mechanic who graduated from the Ford ASSET program at GCC, you really don't want a career in auto mechanics. Especially diesel. That crap is a bigger PITA. Do headgaskets on an E-Series with the 6.0L diesel and get back to me on how much you like to wrench! Hah!

I went to Denver Automotive and Diesel school in 1980. I currently work at a Dodge dealer. I work on autos and diesel trucks and own a diesel F350. Don't do it. As a hobby it's fun, as a living it's hard heavy work and it sucks. Thats why your company can't find diesel mechanics.

The problem with many manual labor jobs remains this: how long will your body be able to take the punishment?? Whether construction or factory work or auto/diesel repair, do you honestly think you will be able to work effectively in an industry such as this when you are sixty?

By bro went through BCC and GM's ASEP program. He ended up teaching auto repair before getting out of the industry entirely. He wanted a less physical job and more money and had hit the wage ceiling before moving on.

Yes, there may be a shortage of diesel techs but it's heavy hard work and it abuses the body. Further, despite the shortage, the wages do not reflect the physical abuses.

It does not matter what type of labor intensive work you do we are all going to get old you cant stop that..

question is do you want to work? i see this all the time in my industry if you want to work you will do the work.

if you do not want to work you will piss and moan how hard it is when in reality it really is not hard it just takes time..

I have watched mechanics try to fix something by bypassing a step, and end up taking twice or three times aslong to complete a job rather than removing a part that had to be removed to do the job at hand..

A tecnician will taake the correct path..thus the reason we have so many "mechanics" LAZY PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A WAY OUT..

As a mechanic/tech as you may, steps or no steps missed, does not negate the fact that's parts are heavy, positions you need to place yourself in to get at stuff are not required coherent to a long and healthy life. At 40 I am more knowledgeable than I was at 19 when I started, but I cannot lift or access things I could then. As for pay commensurate to knowledge /experience, don't do it. I am making a living, but there are other hands on positions that pay much more(brother in law is an HVAC tech, doubles what I make). Did I also mention the 80kfact in tools you have to purchase just to be effective?? There is a reason there is a shortage of mechanics, and it isn't because no one wants to do it.....

Oh yeah, got to love them 6.0L Fords eh??