Plinker

Quick question about handgun purchase

I ordered a handgun from a local dealer and it should be in this week. I've read on other forums that certain states require you to have a handgun training course before getting the gun. Is that also true in NJ? I have my P2P already. Also, when I go to pick it up, is there a waiting period before I can actually get it since I haven't filled out any other paperwork with the dealer yet? (just placed the order with him on the phone). I know he has to contact NICS but that takes what, 15 minutes?

You dont need a safety course in NJ, nor is there a waiting period unless you get held up by your NICS check. The day it comes in you can go pick it up, it shouldn't take longer than a half hour if the state police cooperate.

That's great news to hear! :icon_mrgreen: I'm suprised that part is so 'easy' in NJ.

So I guess the 'time out' period for buying handguns is for states that don't have P2P requirements? I understand that the time out period is to prevent hot-headed people from just running to the gun store, buying a pistol and then going back to 'finish' the argument...

That's great news to hear! :icon_mrgreen: I'm suprised that part is so 'easy' in NJ.

So I guess the 'time out' period for buying handguns is for states that don't have P2P requirements? I understand that the time out period is to prevent hot-headed people from just running to the gun store, buying a pistol and then going back to 'finish' the argument...

the "time out" was replaced by the nics check. so in America you just go to gun store and say I want that one and 15 mins you walk out with gun.

the "time out" was replaced by the nics check. so in America you just go to gun store and say I want that one and 15 mins you walk out with gun.

Some states (CA & CT come to mind) have 10 day waiting period for some or all gun purchases. NJ fortunately doesn't make you wait any longer than the lengthy permit process. Good thing Corzine is gone, that probably would have been his phase II "common sense" gun contol drive.

Resurrected this thread because there is, indeed, a waiting period in NJ. I thought I remembered reading it in the statutes, but couldn't find it at the time this thread was current. Here it is:

2C:58-2(5)a Such person possesses and exhibits a valid permit to purchase a firearm and at least seven days have elapsed since the date of application for the permit;

This statute virtually never comes into play since who here has ever seen or heard of an application for a FPID or a P2P being granted in less than 7 days? But just thought I'd point it out and it is something to keep in mind if they ever overhaul the system and it becomes possible to beat the 7 day timeline.

Adios,

Pizza Bob