Sign in to follow this  
Luke_WO

Swivel Bipod

Took my new rifle to the range for the first time last week. Spent most of the time trying to zero the scope, and I noticed that my stand (just a cheap thing I picked up for temporary purposes) made it hard to aim since it was fixed and in order to change my aim, I had to move the stand. So I'm looking for a bipod, so I can have control over the vertical aim, and I'd also like one that allows me to swivel the gun to change direction from left to right or right to left whenever I want.

This kind of goes without saying, but I'm not looking to spend a ton on this thing. Not sure what bipods usually go for, but it seems like I can get a pretty good one for around 100 bucks, give or take. I'm not really looking to go over that. Or if I'm blatantly wrong about that and I'm gonna have to spend more, let me know either way.

Any suggestions on models to look at? I'm assuming that Harris is the go-to in this situation, but I don't know much about stands/mounts/bipods, etc, so any help would be great.

You are talking about left to right swivel, or rotating? The Harris BRM-S bipod is what I have on my 700 and its great. You can rotate the rifle if you are on uneven ground. For left to right, you just turn the rifle... I havent seen a swivel on a bipod (not to say they arent out there, im sure they are) but I see no need. It would make it very bulky and add nothing that you cant do by just...turning the rifle.

Keep in mind that the ultimate in accuracy will be obtained with sandbags and not a bipod. If you insisnt on using a bipod off a bench pop some pill caps under its feet so they slide consistantly and easily. This will also help with your turning left-right "issue".

You are talking about left to right swivel, or rotating? The Harris BRM-S bipod is what I have on my 700 and its great. You can rotate the rifle if you are on uneven ground. For left to right, you just turn the rifle... I havent seen a swivel on a bipod (not to say they arent out there, im sure they are) but I see no need. It would make it very bulky and add nothing that you cant do by just...turning the rifle.

Keep in mind that the ultimate in accuracy will be obtained with sandbags and not a bipod. If you insisnt on using a bipod off a bench pop some pill caps under its feet so they slide consistantly and easily. This will also help with your turning left-right "issue".

As I said, I'm not schooled in this area, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I like the pill caps idea; that would pretty easily solve the left-to-right problem.

Yes. Swivel I would interpret as something that would allow the rifle to turn 360 degrees around. Rotating, like the BRM-S allows, means you can simply tilt it left or right to adjust for uneven ground. Like, if you are laying on a hill, shooting along it, your rifle is going to be at an angle . You could rotate it on the bipod so that it is straight up & down.

What do you guys think is a good height for bench shooting?

6" - 9" if it's a bolt gun and you're shooting from a bench.

If this is an AR, you need the 9" - 13" to clear a 30 rd magazine when prone.......oh, wait a minute. Nevermind.

6" - 9" if it's a bolt gun and you're shooting from a bench.

If this is an AR, you need the 9" - 13" to clear a 30 rd magazine when prone.......oh, wait a minute. Nevermind.

Ha! Good ol' NJ.

It is a bolt-action, and I just joined R-14 last week so it will be from a bench. Speaking of R-14, do you guys bring something to sit on? Those benches are kind of low, and I end up half-sitting and half-standing in order to be able to get "on top" of the gun.