Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Cherry Ridge -Wed 11-2-11 Canistear road

FYI,

Canistear Road from 23 to the range has been closed since yesterday. Someone hit a pole and took out lines. You can access the range via 515 through Highland lakes/638/Canadawa/Oneota/Lakeside DR W/Canistear (This will easily add 25 minutes to your trip).

JCP&L has to fix this. This means the problem may linger for days. I hope they fix it today but if you see the road closed at 23, it really is closed.

You can view updates here. http://www.facebook.com/vernonpolice

For what it's worth, the Google directions taking you around 515-->638 and lakeside dr w. show a cutover from Canadawa to Lakeside via Mountainside Avenue. I can assure you Mountainside Avenue does not exist. You need to jog over on Oneota.

That road may have existed in some fashion in the past as a goat path, but there's nothing there now.

For what it's worth, the Google directions taking you around 515-->638 and lakeside dr w. show a cutover from Canadawa to Lakeside via Mountainside Avenue. I can assure you Mountainside Avenue does not exist. You need to jog over on Oneota.

That road may have existed in some fashion in the past as a goat path, but there's nothing there now.

These are known as "paper streets". They appear on municipal maps but they do not exist or are a path in the woods. They are the bane of real estate professionals.

These are known as "paper streets". They appear on municipal maps but they do not exist or are a path in the woods. They are the bane of real estate professionals.

Try taking Cherry Ridge Road from Canistear. On paper, it connects to the range. In actuality it's little more than a fire road and unmaintained at that. There are probably trees across it in 50 places.

Sounds like they would be fun to run on. How do I go about finding them? I remember many years ago a friend taking us for a ride on a relatively smooth dirt road in West Milford or thereabouts, which I believe he said was from the Revolutionary War. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I can't for the life of me remember where it was.

Now that the road is open, anyone know if the range is open tomorrow and what the conditions there are like? I assume most of the snow is gone since most of mine is.

The range doesn't close for snow. You just end up standing in it at the firing line and wading through it to get out to the targets.

The range doesn't close for snow. You just end up standing in it at the firing line and wading through it to get out to the targets.

I know it wouldn't close for snow, but I didn't know about lack of power, downed trees, broken bridges, etc.

Sounds like they would be fun to run on. How do I go about finding them? I remember many years ago a friend taking us for a ride on a relatively smooth dirt road in West Milford or thereabouts, which I believe he said was from the Revolutionary War. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I can't for the life of me remember where it was.

If you can actually drive on the road, then it's not a paper road. West Milford has a lot of dirt roads, there is an entire neighborhood of dirt roads in Upper Greenwood Lake. Closer to rt 23 Paradise road goes about two miles in and dead ends at two houses (map shows it going all the way out to Henderson rd) , Van Orden rd runs off of Paradise to Clinton rd and is only partially paved.

If you can actually drive on the road, then it's not a paper road. West Milford has a lot of dirt roads, there is an entire neighborhood of dirt roads in Upper Greenwood Lake. Closer to rt 23 Paradise road goes about two miles in and dead ends at two houses (map shows it going all the way out to Henderson rd) , Van Orden rd runs off of Paradise to Clinton rd and is only partially paved.

I drove back down Paradise once about 10 years ago. Sign down there said something like "The road is a dead end, the map is wrong, this is private property, turn around here, do no go any further" on a sheet of plywood. I had wanted to try to drive around to Henderson as it showed on the map.

I drove back down Paradise once about 10 years ago. Sign down there said something like "The road is a dead end, the map is wrong, this is private property, turn around here, do no go any further" on a sheet of plywood. I had wanted to try to drive around to Henderson as it showed on the map.

Yep, the map is wrong, the road no longer goes though, I know because I did a delivery to one of the houses back there, talk about seclusion.

Does the road continue as a trail, where one could go on foot?

In this area, north of 23, there are fire roads and old trails everywhere. I'm sure the road does continue as a trail. I'm also quite sure someone will run you out if you go hiking.