My buddy talked to me about hunting in Maine sometime so I went to look at the laws and stumbled upon this:

http://www.eregulati...rm-regulations/

The first thing that struck me was how easy the regulations are to understand. There's no BS.

Second, was how they said a loaded clip <sic> in a vehicle was FINE. Really - they just come out and explain stuff. Oh if only.

This bit of sanity made me long for the REAL America even more than I already do.

I've hunted Maine on and off since 1970. It truly is a different world up there. Upstate NY and PA are still this way.

A lot of liberal anti-hunting sentiment has been generated out of the Portland area though in the last ten years. Hunting attitudes and culture have changed over the years there, just not as progressively debilitating as New Jersey's.

I've hunted Maine on and off since 1970. It truly is a different world up there. Upstate NY and PA are still this way.

A lot of liberal anti-hunting sentiment has been generated out of the Portland area though in the last ten years. Hunting attitudes and culture have changed over the years there, just not as progressively debilitating as New Jersey's.

Is it because Portland has over the years become the hipster,artsy,restaurant and nightlife capital of Maine and have attracted a younger urban professional crowd?

Is it because Portland has over the years become the hipster,artsy,restaurant and nightlife capital of Maine and have attracted a younger urban professional crowd?

Quite possibly the answer. A lot of transplanted folks in ME today are from NY, NJ, RI, VT and CT too.

Quite possibly the answer. A lot of transplanted folks in ME today are from NY, NJ, RI, VT and CT too.

I visit friends around the Portland area and they complain that there has been an influx of suburbanites drawn to relativity low land prices,taxes and regulations,also followers of the slow food and locavore trends love the Portland area because of the proximity to both field ,stream and ocean.Not to mention many of the most respected Restaurants in Maine. I personally love Jay's oysters and Gritty Mac Duffs.

Unfortunately along with the migration of their tastes,money and influence comes a certain uneducated stance on firearms and hunting while ,ironically enough , they celebrate wild game cuisine. The whole "I'll eat it but don't care to know how it got to my plate" crowd has begun to entrench themselves and their ideals into Maine but Mainers are strong,proud and stubborn so I don't see them rolling over anytime soon.

There was a time years ago you could not find many good restaurants in Maine. The rural sections are still devoid of them. I agree, the hardiest of people who will never budge are Northern Mainer's.