Bully

Can Someone Give Me A Simple Breakdown?

Howdy.

Can someone on here give me a simple breakdown on what shooting competitons entail and what I would likely encounter if I were to try one out? What would you recommend for a newbie shooter with a 9mm 1911?

Thanks for any and all help.

C

Take a look at one of the stickies in this section, I think it's USPSA 101 or something to that effect. I gives a nice little introduction in USPSA. Thats just one of the many. Steel is another, as well as IDPA and many others, but most of the discussions here are geared more towards USPSA,Steel and IDPA as far as the shooting games are concerned.

Also here is a great thing to look at, check out the USPSA, and steel threads, many of the members here take video of the matches, both, others shooting, and from the view as if you were the shooter. I think that would be a nice way to see if you might be interested in trying some of them.

What would you recommend for a newbie shooter with a 9mm 1911?

Buy magazines, mag pouches and a belt hoster that fully covers the trigger. Check out the USPSA and IDPA websites. You need slightly less equipment for IDPA. Your 9mm 1911 is good for single-stack/minor or limited 10/minor in USPSA and ESP in IDPA. As suggested, check out You Tube and you'll see actual stages being shot. If you want to go for a nice ride (going to be a beautiful day, albeit chilly) head south to CJRPC, they are having a USPSA match today (Sun 12/11). You will find people very friendly and willing to help/share information. Most likely you will find one squad made up of NJGF members. Good luck and have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob