Sign in to follow this  
Tactical Turtle

Winchester M-22 Ammo And Cci 22 Tactical

So I decided until I can afford to really build a AR, they way I want it, since from what i priced out it will cost me about 3k with a custom milled lower, a few uppers so I can shoot whats on sale, and everything else involved, barrrels, stocks, magazines, sights, optics and what not, I will buy a 15-22. I can buy my optics and what not and try it out on that and get used to the platform even though i am a wrong handed shooter lol. So odds are today I will be going out today to purchase my 15-22. while researching it online I noticed certain people prefer specific ammo, most common I found was the Winchester M-22, http://www.winchester.com/library/news-feed/Pages/M-22RimfireRound.aspx and the CCI 22 tactical http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0953. Any one in here ever try either types out, from what i can see online they both say they burn clean and have a jacketed bullet. thanks in advance.

I have run the CCI stuff in mine and had zero issues. I mostly just use the Federal bulk stuff and haven't had a problem with that either though. I would try a few different brands to see what works best. I think also there are a couple of brands that S&W says not to use, but I can't recall what they are.

I started with the CCI AR Tactical. Then tried Federal hollow points, American Eagle lead, and Mini Mags. They all run fine. In 2000 rounds I've had one stove pipe and 2 other FTF jams. Be sure to load the magazines one cartridge at a time so the cartridge seats properly.

The stock 10-rd long magazine sucks. It lacks the helper button. I bought 4 of the short 10 round magazines. They are much better. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2MGSW19924-1.html

From the manual:

Based on the design and action of the M&P15-22, Smith & Wesson recommends that you use the following brands and types of .22LR ammunition for optimal performance in your M&P15-22 rifle:

• CCI Standard Velocity • Federal American Eagle

• CCI Mini-Mag • Federal GameShock

• Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity • Winchester Super-X High Velocity

• Aguila Super Extra High Velocity

Smith & Wesson DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of .22LR ammunition be used in your M&P15-22 rifle:

• Remington Golden Bullet • Remington Thunderbolt

• Remington Target 22 • Winchester Wildcat

• Any and all sub-sonic brands and types

And don't use Stingers in the performance center rifle.

So I decided until I can afford to really build a AR, they way I want it, since from what i priced out it will cost me about 3k with a custom milled lower, a few uppers so I can shoot whats on sale, and everything else involved, barrrels, stocks, magazines, sights, optics and what not, I will buy a 15-22. I can buy my optics and what not and try it out on that and get used to the platform even though i am a wrong handed shooter lol. So odds are today I will be going out today to purchase my 15-22. while researching it online I noticed certain people prefer specific ammo, most common I found was the Winchester M-22, http://www.wincheste...mfireRound.aspx and the CCI 22 tactical http://www.cci-ammun...e=5&loadNo=0953. Any one in here ever try either types out, from what i can see online they both say they burn clean and have a jacketed bullet. thanks in advance.

I've used the CCI stuff. went through the 375 rd pack with no issues.

From the manual:

Based on the design and action of the M&P15-22, Smith & Wesson recommends that you use the following brands and types of .22LR ammunition for optimal performance in your M&P15-22 rifle:

• CCI Standard Velocity • Federal American Eagle

• CCI Mini-Mag • Federal GameShock

• Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity • Winchester Super-X High Velocity

• Aguila Super Extra High Velocity

Smith & Wesson DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of .22LR ammunition be used in your M&P15-22 rifle:

Remington Golden Bullet • Remington Thunderbolt

Remington Target 22 • Winchester Wildcat

• Any and all sub-sonic brands and types

And don't use Stingers in the performance center rifle.

I learned Remington ammo in .22LR is all crap with my S&W 15-22 and S&W model 22A handgun.

Wildcat is crap too. CCI is a little pricey but always goes bang. I'll have to get a 1000 rd pack of that M-22 ammo and run it through some cold weather plinking at Cherry Ridge. :) Let me know if you try that M-22. 15-22's are fun. See below. :D

post-1277-0-33838800-1323799102_thumb.jpg

If I can find it I will put a brick through my 15-22 and review it here, it is hard to find though. I hope all the hype is good about the 15-22 I have only held one, yet to get to shoot it, I guess if I ever get to the shop tonight I will find out, having some issues though spending 500 on a. 22 though lol Just can't get myself to commit lol

If I can find it I will put a brick through my 15-22 and review it here, it is hard to find though. I hope all the hype is good about the 15-22 I have only held one, yet to get to shoot it, I guess if I ever get to the shop tonight I will find out, having some issues though spending 500 on a. 22 though lol Just can't get myself to commit lol

You make up for it in ammo costs. Shoot all you want without seeing any dollar signs.

Just picked up some Winchester 555 rounds bulk hollow copper plated for about $19 at Walmart.

Dicks in brick actually had the m22 ammo in stock, so I tried it put in my brand new 15-22 and only had 1 round not fire out of 500 rounds, I sat supported and was shooting nice right groups at 15 yards. Then all of the sudden they started to get a lol loose, re adjustedvmyself and still loose, then good again, not really sure of it was me or the ammo. I'll have to try again , end of run sentence lol.