deadeye74

Reloading Books And Classes

Ordering Lyman's 49 on Amazon today! Thanks!

Good choice, you might also want to update your profile with your location, if you are close to someone who reloads they may be able to show what reloading is like.

Also having someone in the area who uses a progressive press is a huge benefit, a lot of people start out on a single stage press and that is great, I did the opposite and am very new just so you know, but with the help of the people here, reading, reading, did I say reading, and friends who have the same press as I, I feel very comfortable reloading on a progressive press with case feeder. I will still get a single stage for when I try rifle ammo, but for now, I am all about pistol caliber ammo.

Personally, for learning I like the lee reloading manual. They have a LOT of good info in the howto half, and it is cheap. You want at least two howtos, and at least two load guides, so you can compare their info. Anyplace they disagree, go online and do some research in forums and on websites to see if you can find a tie breaker or a more detailed explanation to make it make sense.

Lyman 49 is a great choice, for a second I would use Speer 14 if pistol is your thing or Sierra 5 if you are loading rifle. The Lee is great if you are using Lee equipment, it is very specific to their stuff, but I find their load data lacking for my needs. As you go you will get lots of manuals, I have 8 now. You can never have too many for comparison.

Good choice, you might also want to update your profile with your location, if you are close to someone who reloads they may be able to show what reloading is like.

Also having someone in the area who uses a progressive press is a huge benefit, a lot of people start out on a single stage press and that is great, I did the opposite and am very new just so you know, but with the help of the people here, reading, reading, did I say reading, and friends who have the same press as I, I feel very comfortable reloading on a progressive press with case feeder. I will still get a single stage for when I try rifle ammo, but for now, I am all about pistol caliber ammo.

Just updated my profile. Never realized I did not put my location. I'll probably start off with pistol ammo. In the first two weeks of owning my .45, I've gone through ammo like it's candy!

Lyman 49 is a great choice, for a second I would use Speer 14 if pistol is your thing or Sierra 5 if you are loading rifle. The Lee is great if you are using Lee equipment, it is very specific to their stuff, but I find their load data lacking for my needs. As you go you will get lots of manuals, I have 8 now. You can never have too many for comparison.

I don't think their discussion of pressure signs and curves, case wear, etc. are equipment specific, and they go into more detail than most on it for less money. Their load data is just an aggregation of the powder manufacturer's data, so it's convenient, but very conservative. Like I said, you want two sources at least on load data.

One of my books is the most god awful piece of editing and typesetting on the planet, but it has lots of interesting stuff on shooting and reloading during major recessions and raw material shortages form someone who was doing such form the 30s to the 70s. Lots of info on reloading berdan primed stuff, how much you could get away with shooting lead in a gas operated semi-auto rifle as long as you make it hard enough, reloading steel cased ammo, and other fun stuff.

The lyman manual is good, but for the price, I can buy several manuals and wind up with more info overall, especially with the advent of loading info on the internet form both powder manufacturers AND bullet manufacturers.